Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Strawberry Chocolate Coconut Bars


Not a great photo, but then again, I am not a photographer, and I am still playing around with borders.. lol - PicMonkey could be a lot of fun but not even using this cool app can create a miracle out of what was given to it.

Some of my photo's had been taken with Cheri's ancient  old camera. We gave her a new camera on her birthday last year, hence me taking photo's with her old hand-me-down.

But ha ! I now also have a new camera, which I received with a lot of love on Mother's Day .. now that's cool, hey? I have started playing around with it, but according to the manual, I should first use the Dummies Smart mode - really?? Actually, yes, really, when the quality of my pics start to improve, you'll know I got the hang of the little piece of technology.

On to today's post - I did not plan on making this. I truly thought this up as I went along.

Roy phoned me from the supermarket, telling me that the ".. Brown Melting Chocolate.." on my list, is out of stock. Now, it was already latish in the afternoon and this specific recipe I wanted to make, was suppose to be our dessert for that evening. So, I asked him what kind of melting chocolate there was on the shelf. "Strawberry - that's it" he says. I say "Ok, what the heck, bring me some Strawberry..."

And just there, this recipe started taking shape, if you like coconut & strawberry chocolate - THIS IS FOR YOU !

STRAWBERRY CHOCOLATE COCONUT BARS recipe;

1 cup Tennis Biscuit Crumbs (or use your favorite)
2 TB Icing Sugar
1/4 cup (60ml) Melted Butter

1 Can (397g) Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 1/2 cups (100g) Coconut, shredded or fine
1 Large Egg
200g Easy-Melt Strawberry Chocolate (broken into blocks)
1 TB Butter (cut into small pieces)

1.) Pre-heat your oven to 160gdegC (325deg F) - Line a 20 x 20cm baking pan or glass oven dish with baking paper and spray with Spray & Cook.
2.) Mix the biscuit crumbs with the icing sugar, and add the melted butter. Stir until well mixed. Press the     crust mixture firmly onto the bottom of your lined pan in an equal layer. Bake 10 minutes.
3.) Meanwhile, pour the condensed milk into a microwave bowl - heat until quite warm to the touch.
4.) Stir in coconut and egg to the condensed milk, make sure everything is well mixed.
5.) Spread the coconut mixture over the baked crust - Bake 15 - 20 minutes and let cool slightly.
6.) Melt strawberry chocolate and butter in a bowl in the microwave. Stir every 30 seconds, until fully    melted.
7.) Pour the melted chocolate over the coconut layer and spread to cover equally.
8.) Chill first in the refrigerator until cold, then place in the freezer compartment for approximately 30 - 45      minutes before cutting into bars. (the freezer part will help for a cleaner, smoother cut).     

These bars did not last 10 minutes long, however, it is a very sweet treat, therefore I'll suggest not cutting them into too big squares/rectangles.

I love to hear from you, especially on something I created on a whim ! Please use the comments line, say your piece ... good or bad, I can take it {wink}

Ciao for now
Linda

Linking up with these cool parties:












23 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I can't wait to feature them later this week. ;) I'm also your newest follower. Feel free to follow me back if you'd like.
    www.craftyconfessions.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - as you can see I'm new to this and am grateful for every follower. I've been following you for a while now via RSS ! Lovely blog and I enjoy all the links posted on Tuesday Confessional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks very good, thanks so much for linking up your recipes, I loved them all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must thank you for hosting! Love it to go through the other links...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strawberry, chocolate and coconut! What a wonderful combination! Thank you for sharing on Thursday's Treasures Week 36. Hope you will join again next week. <3 and hugs! http://www.recipesformyboys.com/2012/05/thursdays-treasures-week-36.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound wonderful, there's just something about coconut and sweetened condensed milk that turns simple into decadent! Can't wait to give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look delish! I love that the chocolate is strawberry flavored. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so amazing! My mouth is watering :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. These look so tasty! What a great combo - coconut and strawberry, YUM! I need to try them! I'm a new follower, check out my recipe blog (http://yummyhealthyeasy.blogspot.com/) when you get a second! Hope you're having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen ! I'll hop on over to your blog tomorrow (it is already midnight here)Just from the name of your blog I know I'll become a follower!

      Delete
  10. Strawberry chocolate! Oh how has this evaded me. I just have to go on a quest for strawberry chocolate. Thank you for sharing this at Freedom Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really hope you find some !
      Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  11. How amazing you made 'lemonade from lemons' so to speak...only strawberries are sweeter! Love this great recipe. Thanks a million for linking up at Weekend Potluck. Keep on comin' over with great recipes like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These sound and look delicious! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I came over from Mix it Up Monday. These remind me of one of my favorite candy bars, made with strawberry, chocolate and vanilla coconut. I want to make these! I am a new follower on GFC. Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look wonderful...what a great thing to have had happen at the store...look what fabulousness came out of it. I'm featuring these at tomorrow's party!

    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow those look amazing....thanks for linking them up @ CountryMommaCooks : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy this looks so good. I need to try it soon.

    Love your blog

    Check out my food blog if you haven't already :)

    www.thedailysmash101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need to try this one! Thanks for sharing at the party!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm coming to your home to eat... all these great recipes are making me VERY hungry!!!! LOL

    Thanks for sharing at the ALL STARS BLOCK PARTY
    Carri
    simplydonewright.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This recipe is right up my husband's alley. He loves strawberry and coconut. Thanks so much for sharing on Tout It Tuesday! Hope to see you next week.

    ReplyDelete