Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Bacon Wrapped Dogs in a Blanket

Bacon Wrapped Dogs In A Blanket ~ Forget the rolls and serve Bacon wrapped hotdogs this way for dinner or lunch #Dinner #HotDogs
Over the years I have seen many recipes for  a this or a that "under a blanket" but never actually made it.

This dinner we had last night started with me having an absolute craving for the Baby Marrow Feta Salad {recipe will follow in the next post}.

I started looking for something to pair it up with, braai (BBQ), maybe a stew (remember we're in the middle of Winter ! ) or something new ..?? That's when my eye caught this old print-out in my recipe file - it was originally shared by Huisgenoot , local magazine in SA.

What a winner ! I decided not to call it a "something under a blanket" as this is more like a soft biscuit and blanket made me think it'll be a somewhat softer cover. (I have no idea if you know what I mean by softer, I just can not think of any other description right now ;-)   ).

Anyhow, before we get on to the recipe, how many of you decide first on a side or salad and THEN the main ??  Bit backwards , isn't it? Well, I'm glad I tried this recipe and will for sure make it again.

Bacon Wrapped Dogs In A Blanket

2 cups Self-Raising Flour
1 t Salt
6 TB Butter, melted
1 cup Buttermilk
1 cup Full Cream Milk
2 TB Mustard Powder (don't skimp - this gives an awesome flavor)
6 Rashers of Streaky Bacon, halved
2 Tins (390g each) Viennas, in brine, drained
1 TB Parsley for garnish (I forgot to add it before I took the 1st photo - but it's on the next!)

1.) Pre-heat oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F). Spray a 20 x 30cm oven dish with Spray 'N Cook.
2.) Sift together the Flour and Salt. Beat the Butter, Buttermilk, Milk and Mustard Powder together and add to the Flour.
3.) Beat until there are no more lumps in the batter - pour into the prepared oven dish and spread to an even layer.
4.) Twist a piece of Bacon around each Vienna and just squeeze into the batter - repeat till all is done.
5.) Bake 40 - 50 minutes until a tester comes out clean and it is golden brown.
6.) Garnish with the Parsley and serve.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds fantastic! I'll definitely be giving it a try when the weather cools down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks and sounds delicious, like anything with bacon it in would be. Thanks so much for sharing on Tout It Tuesday. Hope to see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great! Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for linking up to the ALL STARS BLOCK PARTY!!!

    Carri
    simplydonewright.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda,
    This looks super yummy! Can't wiat to try the recipe. Thanks for sharing at Creative Thursday.

    ReplyDelete