Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Mushroom Beef Grilled Cheese


I'm busy on my laptop this afternoon when Roy asked what's for dinner tonight ?

Me; I don't know - it's still early.
Roy; Any ideas?
Me; No, Roy .. I. am. busy. now.
Roy; Maybe we must ...
Me; Yes, I'm thinking - I might have an idea.
Roy: Like what?

Now, I am really getting riled up..

Me; I don't know - I'm making something up in my mind and if you keep pestering me, I can not think ! (remember, all the while my attention is on the laptop and by now I'm even tapping away faster..)
Roy; Okay, I hope it'll be ........................ and I tuned him out.

No, I'm not normally like that, but sometimes my family will ask me at 9 am what's for dinner. I mean, really?? And I totally dislike it when they know I'm busy and they keep hammering on about whatever. There's a time and place for it all (and believe me - if it's something urgent - I MAKE TIME for them).

Anyway, this grilled sandwich took place in my mind - in between me reading very important letters my favorite blogs and Facebook and ... you get the idea.

Mushroom Beef Grilled Cheese

(this made 10 sandwiches)

20 Slices of Bread (your choice)
10 Large slices Roast Beef
10 Gouda Cheese slices (we normally like double cheese, but the Mushroom sauce is quite rich)
1 TB Avocado Oil
500g Mushrooms, sliced
1 t Garlic, minced
250ml Fresh Cream
7.5ml Paprika
1 TB Fresh Basil, chopped
1 TB Fresh Parsley, chopped
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 t Flour
10 Eggs

1.) Toast 10 slices of bread on one side only (I did mine in the oven under the grill)
2.) Top each toasted slice of bread (toasted side on the bottom) with a slice of Cheese and fold the Roast Beef double and place on top of the cheese.
3.) Saute the Mushrooms and Garlic in the Avocado oil until soft and brown. Add the Fresh cream and simmer until sauce has reduced by half. Add the Paprika, Basil, Parsley, Salt and Pepper. Mix well to combine. Stir in the Flour and let simmer until sauce has thickened (about 1 - 2 minutes)
4.) Add the Mushroom sauce on top of the Roast beef.

5.) Top with a buttered slice of bread (buttered side up)
6.) Place in the oven under the grill and toast until brown.
7.) Meanwhile, fry (or poach) the Eggs, and as the sandwiches come out of the oven (I had to do two batches), top each with an Egg.

The family loved it - no complaints. I did however go lightly with the Mushroom sauce on Cheri's and my own sandwiches ... totally just to make us think our's was healthier, lighter more diet friendly!

What are your favorite sandwiches ? I must also still do a post on our top of the log Philly Steak Grilled Cheese recipe - but that's for another day.

Be good all
Bye-bye for now

Linda

Linking up with these cool parties:






11 comments:

  1. Looks really yummy! I've never tried it before, but would LOVE to!
    Hope you're having a great week!

    xoxo Shar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great innovation. Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic! Sometimes the best dishes are out of innovation ... I would like to invite you to share this at my new party ~ http://www.lovebakesgoodcakes.com/2012/06/toot-your-horn-tuesday-1.html ~ Hope you have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad I am not the only one who has conversations like this at my house. This recipe is right up D's alley. Maybe I will let him make it for dinner one night. Thanks so much for sharing on Tout It Tuesday. Hope to see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious. I have a Blog Hop and I would love it if you would link this post. You can find it at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/06/natural-hair-gel-and-wednesdays-adorned.html
    It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop.
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each of your recipes looks better then the rest. Can't wait to try this one. Thank you so much for linking with "Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop". Hope you link again this Wednesday.
      Debi Bolocofsky
      www.adornedfromabove.com

      Delete
  6. It sounds great. Might have to try it. Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is totally different.. I must try this... I think it would be something great on a rainy day too..

    Thank you for linking up to the ALL STARS BLOCK PARTY!!!

    Carri
    simplydonewright.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda,
    This looks super delish! Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday Last week. I can't wati to see what you link up this week :) Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, LInda - you have a lovely collection of mushroomy dishes!

    ReplyDelete