Monday, June 18, 2012

Oxtail (slow-cooker)


Roy's all-time favorite dish - OXTAIL ! I do not make this a lot, as it is a very rich dish, red meat and all that, but there was never a question what would be the main dish on Father's Day .. He never actually asked for it, but after 27 years together, I think we can read one another's minds ... really, I do believe that. One thing they {anyway, who is this "they" everybody, me included, always mention ..? mmm} say, which I absolutely do not believe is the fact that the longer two people are together, the more they look like one another .. no, no, no waayy!

My late father-in-law could cook up a storm, without having to go out to the grocery store first - he just used whatever was on hand. He was the one who introduced me to mussels .. yeah, mussels, I did not grow up eating "foreign" stuff like that, .. and Oxtail ?  Never, even heard of it before my father-in-law made it.  {Ate the mussels - now love it! - but it was still a few years until I finally made my first oxtail dish.}.

The recipe I'm sharing today was the first one I used (have it written down on a piece of paper - no idea where it came from). Over the years I tried other recipes as well, but this is still the best.  It is very saucy, and literally finger-lickin' good.

Okay, onwards to the recipe:

Oxtail (slow-cooker)

2 Large Onions, cut into rings
Oil for frying
Salt/Pepper seasoned Flour
1.5kg - 2kg Oxtail, cut into 5cm (2") pieces
around 500ml Boiling Water
75ml White Vinegar
75ml Brown Sugar
4 - 6 Carrots, peeled and cut into rings
500g Baby Potatoes, peeled, if still a little big, cut into half
1/2 - 1 packet of Oxtail Soup Powder

1.) Saute the Onions in a little oil until soft and slightly brown, remove from pan and keep aside.
2.) Roll the Oxtail pieces in the Seasoned Flour and fry all sides until just browned.
3.) Place the Oxtail, together with the sauteed Onions in the slow-cooker, cover with Boiling water, add the Vinegar and Brown sugar, cover with lid and cook on HIGH for 4 hours.
4.) Add the Carrots and Potatoes to the slow-cooker and cook on high for another 2 - 3 hours until the veggies are soft.
5.) Add the Oxtail soup powder to thicken (1/2 pack should do - but check after another 5 minutes) and cook until thickened 5 - 10 minutes.

Serve over lots of rice or mashed potatoes - very saucy indeed!

Ciao for now, as usual the laundry is waiting ;-)

Linda

Linking up with these cool parties:





















11 comments:

  1. Oh yum!!!
    I would LOVE to try this!!!

    xoxo -Shar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had ox tail... I don't think I've seen it in the store actually... I could be mistaken I usually am! HAHAHA
    But this sounds really yummy... I need to check into this some more.. I wanna make this! =)

    Carri
    simplydonewright.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had oxtail but we just got some beef soup bones today so maybe I could us those instead? Thanks so much for sharing on Tout It Tuesday! Hope to see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never tried ox tail but this looks so good! Another just good down home comfort food:) Thank you so much for sharing at Freedom Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, this looks delicious! I haven't used oxtail before but have heard its yummy. I love finding new crock pot recipes. Thanks for sharing at Creative Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great - and economical too. Thanks for linking it in to Food on Friday. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! I've never tried oxtail before but your picture reminds me of the roasts my mom used to make on Sundays so I'm thinking it would be good! Thanks for sharing this at Mom's Test Meal Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds great! For those people who don't have a slow cooker here you can see my method of achieving a similar result in the oven - http://foodallways.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/a-very-slow-cooked-oxtail-pie.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for joining us at Saturday Dishes, Pinned to Saturday Dishes board ~ Paula

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for linking to Saturday Dishes. I have never had Oxtail, but the fact that it can be made in the slow cooker makes me want to try it. Pinned. I hope you'll return next week when we feature Mother's Day dishes. -Savannah @ HammockTracks

    ReplyDelete