Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Best EVER Chicken Pie


I Must have made this Chicken Pie dozens of times over the years.  I don't think I ever tried another version, as this one is so good!

Yesterday, I did not feel well, I think I'm coming down with the flu.. ugh, yeah. Anyhow, Roy did most of the work - so, now he claims it was his dish last night. Okay, I'll give last night to him ... but not the recipe, I told him step by step what to do {mostly the cooking - whilst I did the chopping !}

Without further chit-chat .. here we are:

Best EVER Chicken Pie

slightly adapted from a recipe I found in an old HUISGENOOT Magazine

1/2 cup Flour
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
1 kg Chicken Fillets, cut into stir-fry strips
Oil, to fry
125g Bacon
250g Mushrooms
1 Onion, chopped 
1 Large Tomato, peeled and chopped
150g Spinach (about 3 handfulls), thick veins removed and chopped into thin slices
1 t Mixed Herbs (dry)
1/4 cup Fresh Cream
1 Roll Frozen Puff-Pastry, defrosted
1 Egg yolk mixed with a little milk, for glazing

1.) Pre-heat oven to 200 deg C (400 deg F) - Spray a 20 x 30cm oven dish with Spray 'N Cook.
2.) Mix the Flour, Salt and Pepper - Roll the Chicken strips in the Flour mixture and fry in the oil in batches until all the chicken are cooked and light brown. Remove Chicken from pan and set aside.
3.) Fry the Bacon in the same pan as used for the Chicken until crispy, remove from pan and cut into small pieces, add to the Chicken and keep aside.
4.) Using the same pan, fry the Mushrooms until soft - Add the Onion, fry until translucent - Add the Tomato and Spinach - Stir-fry until the Spinach has wilted.
5.) Add the Mixed Herbs and Fresh Cream to the Mushroom mixture in the pan - simmer 2 - 3 minutes.
6.) Remove the Mushroom mixture from the stove and stir in the Chicken and Bacon.
7.) Transfer to the prepared oven dish - wait till it has cooled down before covering the top with the puff Pastry (cut away any excess pastry and use to decorate, if so desired)
8.) Paint pastry with Egg yolk/milk - Bake 30 minutes until Pastry is puffed and lightbrown.

I served this pie with Cinnamon Butternut and a salad.

Ciao for now,

Linda

Linking up with these cool parties:








  




17 comments:

  1. Linda, your posts always make me hungry! I love the idea of a spinach and chicken pie! I don't know why I've never thought of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still love this post :) Thank you for sharing at All my Bloggy Friends this week!

      Delete
    2. Good morning, Linda :) Just wanted to let you know that your recipe is one of the features this morning at All my Bloggy Friends! I can't wait to see what you bring this week! I hope you are doing well. xoxo http://www.lovebakesgoodcakes.com/2012/08/kit-kat-cake-and-all-my-bloggy-friends-7.html

      Delete
    3. LOVED this recipe, Linda! My kids told me to tell you thank you and that they thought it was great. :)

      Delete
    4. Gee, I'm glad - I must've told Roy 100 times yesterday that you're making this, makes my day that it actually worked for your kids as well! Have a great day, Jamie,
      Linda

      Delete
  2. Oh how scrumptious! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe looks amazing! Chicken pie? Yes, please! I'll take seconds too. :) I'd love for you to share this recipe at my Marvelous Mondays party. http://www.jamscorner.com/2012/07/marvelous-mondays-link-party-5.html

    Also, I am now following you via GFC. I'd love for you to check out my blog and follow back. :)

    Julie
    www.jamscorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. We love chicken pie here. Another great recipe.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Linda,
    Your Chicken Pie looks delicious and like pure comfort. Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, I always know something good is cooking at your house:) I love meat pies and this is different, a little healthier with the spinach, great idea!
    Thank you for your continued support of me and of Freedom Fridays.
    Have an amazing day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you'll make some - let me know?
      (I added you on G+ from that linky party!)
      Linda

      Delete
  8. Just stopping by to thank you for sharing this awesome recipe on Marvelous Mondays! I hope to see you at next week's party. :)

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy...thanks for sharing on Southern Sundays! Hope to see you back next week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds delicious!! Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursdays at The Mandatory Mooch. Hope you will link up again this week. The party just went live at http://mandatorymooch.blogspot.com/2012/08/tasty-thursday-4.html

    Thanks,
    Nichi

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis