Thursday, July 19, 2012

Blanc-Mange with Stewed Fruit



I think this is the most delicious dessert I've ever made ! For some reason I always have a fear when making anything in a mould and have to turn it out - three reasons .. my stuff always break or it did not set properly or it sticks to the mould.

Years ago, must be about 10 or 12 years, I bought a Tupperware mould, quite fancy, with a lid and a smaller mould which made the "hole" in the middle (the smaller one can be used on it's own as well). Well, it was still brand new when I used it for the first time yesterday and it did the magic!

Must say, I think it's because of the recipe too {whink} as it really set nicely and took only about 3 hours of chilling.

The Blanc-Mange and the Glaze is a recipe which I gawked looked at for years as well. I found it in one of my favorite cookbooks Spyskaarte vir Elke Seisoen by Annette Human (available in English as SEASONAL MENUS).

The Fruit I stewed, as I think, my Granny used to do it - but I could be wrong. Anyhow, the whole dessert was delicious. Oh, I already said that ...

Blanc-Mange with Stewed Fruit

Stewed Fruit;

250g Mixed Dried Fruit (I used a pack containing: Peaches, Apples, Apricots, Prunes and Pears)
300ml Water
1 Cinnamon stick
3 TB Sugar

1.) Simmer all the ingredients for 20 minutes until soft. Remove from heat - drain and keep aside until completely cooled.

Blanc-Mange;

5 TB Cornflour
4 TB Sugar
1/4 t Salt
3 cups Milk
1 Egg
1 t Vanilla Essence

1.) Place 700ml of the Milk in a pot on medium heat.
2.) Meanwhile, mix the remaining 50ml Milk with the Cornflour, Sugar and Salt. Add the Egg and Vanilla and whisk well.
3.) As soon as the Milk in the pot reach boiling point - add the Cornflour mixture slowly, stirring continuously.
4.) Simmer until thick, stirring all the time (3 - 5 minutes)
5.) Remove from heat, let cool for about 2 minutes and pour into a mould which was rinsed in cold water (use the mould wet).
6.) Chill for 3 - 4 hours before turning out.

Glaze;  (make the Glaze shortly before serving)

1 1/2 t Cornflour
2 TB Water
1/4 cup Fine Apricot jam
1 t Butter or Margarine
2 TB Sherry (or any other sweet wine)

1.) Mix the Cornflour and Water until smooth in a small sauce pan - Add the Apricot jam, Butter or Margarine and simmer over medium heat until thick - Remove from the heat and add the Sherry - stir well.
2.) Let the Glaze cool completely before serving.

Serve the Blanc-Mange with the Stewed Fruit and some Glaze drizzled over.

Hope you enjoy!

Linda

Linking up with these cool parties:





26 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! That looks so yummy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you'll make some - it's quick to make, only need a little time to set ;-)
      Enjoy,
      Linda

      Delete
  2. I have never seen anything like this. That is so cool! New follower. Can't wait to see what's next! Yay for being blog friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my humble little blog!
      Thanks for following back.
      Linda

      Delete
  3. Yummy! I'm going to def. try this out!
    Newest follower =D
    -Jen
    http://www.littlemissalizzi.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following - and I hope you enjoy this recipe!
      Linda

      Delete
  4. Blanc mange is so good! It was one of my mom's specialties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Loved it and will definitely make it again! Might be just as good with fresh fruit.
      Linda

      Delete
  5. Linda, I wish you lived closer! I would love to meet you and chit chat over a great dessert like this :) Thank you for sharing at All my Bloggy Friends this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol ! between this, and all your fantastic recipes it might be very bad for our figures, but I'm sure we'll chat up a storm ;-)
      Linda

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. This looks amazing. I saw it yesterday on another link party and thought it looked delicious.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you'll make some and enjoy it as much as I did (and will again)
      Linda

      Delete
  7. Sounds great. Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Must confess - I found it difficult to "destroy" it when I dished up!
      Linda

      Delete
  9. I've never had blancmange although I have read of it, yours looks so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you'll try some - it's really worth it, I don't know why I waited so long to finally make it!
      Linda

      Delete
  10. I purchased a Tupperware Jello Mold at a yard sale last week and I was just wondering what I could make with it today - now I know! Thank you so much. You've got a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting my blog and I hope you'll use your mold more than I do mine! Enjoy..
      Linda

      Delete
  11. Linda, this is a fabulous dessert that we are going to love, can't wait to have it. Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that's very interesting-sounding and looking! So glad you're back!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! This looks sooo good! Thanks for sharing this recipe at the party this week. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't you love it when one of your purchases languishing in the closet finally gets a chance to shine! And this was the perfect dish for its inaugural. Looks beautiful and sounds so delicious. thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never made a mold or anything with stewed fruit. This is going to be an adventure.
    Thanks for sharing it on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Linda,
    This is beautiful! I would love to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a unique dish! It looks great. Thanks for sharing on Southern Sundays.

    ReplyDelete