Thursday, July 12, 2012

Meat & Spinach Quiche


I have never made a quiche .. I also do not know whether this can be classified as one ? The only quiche I ever had was the favorite "Lorraine", at restaurants or from Woolies!

My version also do not have a crust, but I believe that is acceptable {whink}.

On the odd occasion when I actually go to the shops myself, I tend to buy stuff that's either on special or I'll buy something on the list but for some reason, you know that ".. just in case.." reason, take double of what I really need.

I looked in the fridge this morning and saw all these extras which, on it's own, will definitely need more stuff from the store, to turn it into a decent meal.

So after taking stock I had : 1 pack Bacon, 1 pack Cheese Grillers, Cheddar (lots) and  frozen Spinach. Just there and then I decided I'll use what I have, nothing from the store for today's dish.

This afternoon, I'm in the kitchen, busy at the stove, when Roy asked over my shoulder "..what are you making .." {more in that sing-song voice that's translated into "When will the food be ready?"} - I told him I haven't a clue, I think it will be a Quiche, but  I'm not sure. He's a cool dude, so he said it's okay, he is starving, so it WILL be eaten.

This is what it looked like when I just took it out of the oven - Not even sure it looks like a Quiche ...

Meat & Spinach Quiche

1 Large Onion, chopped
1 TB Oil
375g Frozen Spinach
250g Back Bacon, cooked and roughly chopped
375g Cheese Grillers, sliced
1 1/2 cups Cheddar Cheese, grated
8 Extra-Large Eggs, beaten
Salt & Pepper to taste

1.) Pre-heat oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) - Spray a 20 x 30cm oven dish with Spray 'N Cook.
2.) Saute the Onion in the Oil until soft - add the Frozen Spinach - stir fry for 5 - 8 minutes until the Spinach is wilted and all the liquid has evaporated - let stand to cool a few minutes.
3.) Add the Bacon, Grillers and Cheddar cheese to the Spinach - stir to combine.
4.) Lastly, add the beaten Eggs, season to taste, stir well - bake for 35 - 40 minutes until puffy.
5.) Remove from oven and let stand at least 10 minutes before serving.

I served ours with a salad and garlic rolls.

The kids thought it had a little too much Spinach - Roy and I liked it as is.

Later,

Linda

Linking up with these cool parties:










3 comments:

  1. This dish looks amazing for something not prepared beforehand! You have talented cooking fingers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. A quiche by any other name would taste as delicious! And savory tarts are my favorite tarts! Thanks for sharing this at Katherine's leafy greens Blog Hop.

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete