Saturday, July 14, 2012

Stencilled Napkins


Noticed how expensive Napkins are these days? Especially for special occasions .. and I can never find exactly what I want.

Make your own! It's so easy (pre-schoolers can do this if using a ready-made stencil and not the ironing)

Buy a stencil (craft- hardware stores), DIY magazines like to share templates, or look for a picture (magazines, internet, books specializing in templates or draw your own) 

Use a large alphabet/numeric stencil for words or numbers. The possibilities are endless.

I usually make my own Napkins, cut to my preferred size, the type of fabric for the event - or jazz-up your old plain ones.

I have only included a few which I've made over time. Note, the silver Rose on the black fabric and the red Rose on the white fabric were made from the same stencil.

The gold Flower on the white fabric is only part of a bigger stencil which I chose to use here.


-You'll need a cutting mat and craft knife first of all if cutting your own stencils. 
-A picture
-Sheet of stencil plastic - craft- and stationery stores keep these in different thickeness' (Buy 2 or 3 different ones to find the one you best work with)  
-Fabric Paint (these are cheap and you can pick from a huge selection - or mix your own colour)
-Foam roller and pan - you can use a paint brush as well but I find a roller works much better
-Tic-Tac Glue - this is a non permanent glue and it will stick your stencil to the fabric without any residue afterwards (Usually you also only need to apply a small amount once, and it'll stay sticky for many projects)
-Fabric Napkins
-Iron (to set the paint permanently into the fabric)


Photo above - I used the picture on the left to cut out the stencil in the following photo. The template on the right was used to cut another stencil which I only used the far-right flower for the gold painted Flower.


I took the photo of this stencil after a few uses to make it easier to see what it looks like.


The fun part ! Paste a small amount of Tic-Tac Glue to the back of the stencil - use a small brush to make sure all parts are covered as well as at least 15mm (little less than 1/2 inch) around the edges of the picture. Wait 5 minutes for the Glue to get sticky - Place the stencil on the preferred area of the Napkin to be painted (glue side down on the fabric) - use the wooden/plastic end piece of a small brush and gently press down on all the areas of the stencil which has glue underneath.

Paint over the exposed (open) areas with either a roller or a paintbrush - Rather start with too little paint than too much - you can always go over the area again. Wait a minute or two and gently pull your stencil free from the fabric (you'll find the stencil is still sticky enough for many more uses). Depending on the thickness of your paint, wait until it is dry to the touch (Because I use a roller my paint is never too thick and it dries within 5 - 10 minutes)

Last, but very important, iron your masterpiece (between 2 sheets of paper or old fabric) on both sides. This will make it permanent and now you can use and wash them normally.

See HERE how I cut a stencil straight from wallpaper!

This is really a lovely, relaxing craft and I hope you'll try it (if you're new to this) and enjoy it as much as I do!

Ciao for now,

Linda

Linking up with these cool parties:








19 comments:

  1. This is great. I need a new table set for Christmas and it can be very expensive but I could get a nice plain set and then personalise it. Thank you
    Maria Crafty Chic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute idea! Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute and briliant!!!
    You should link this up to The CSI project starting today. The challenge is refashions/upcycles. This would be perfect and you just might be a winner!
    Come on by!
    www.thecsiproject.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Idea. Now I have to think of something I want to stencil and get going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea, Linda! Thank you for sharing at All my Bloggy Friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love cloth napkins...I may need to pretty mine up a bit :)

    Thanks for sharing at our Finished Friday Blog Party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! This is super cool! Popping over from Everything & the Kitchen Sink – I’d love for you to visit me at jugglingactmama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good idea!
    Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this idea. I have been trying to get used to cloth napkins. Anything to make them cuter! Thanks for the tip.

    I would love it if you would share this at the Smart Solutions linky party. You can link up here:

    http://theprudentpantryblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/prudent-projects-and-smart-solutions.html

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just planning on making some napkins and this will help me dress them up. Thanks for sharing on Tout It Tuesday! Hope to see you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea to make some extra special napkins. Great tutorial! Thank you for sharing at Freedom Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute idea! I love the beautiful flower pattern
    www.iheartpears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea!! Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursdays at The Mandatory Mooch. Hope you will link up again this week. The party just went live at http://mandatorymooch.blogspot.com/2012/08/tasty-thursday-4.html

    Thanks,
    Nichi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for sharing at Heavenly Treats Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another great idea Linda. I think it would be so fun to make some for a special occassion. Thanks for sharing your talent with Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these! Of course I love to stencil too. Thanks for sharing at my party.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job! I've not seen the Tic Tac glue before. Will have to see if I can find some.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Linda, I always loved stenciling myself. It always come out great! :) Take care, Linda

    ReplyDelete