Monday, August 27, 2012

Banana Caramel Tart



This is a new recipe to me {although I had it since shortly after I got married}. No idea why I've missed it and never actually tried the recipe ... so unlike me ...

Crust with a layer of Lemon Jelly (Jello) and a filling of Banana and Caramel - you can leave out the jelly part if it's not your kind of thing {I mention this, because all of a sudden Dimitri has a problem with jelly...agh, he ate it and besides the jelly layer, he liked this dessert}.

I read somewhere today - think it was today?? - was Banana Day. National somewhere or maybe International,.. I can not remember. Anyway, that is the reason I settled on this recipe. Option before I decided was HERTZOGGIES - a South African delicacy.

Banana Caramel Tart

1 packet (200g) Tennis biscuits, crushed (or Graham Crackers)
125g Butter, melted
25ml Lemon Juice

1/2 packet (of an 80g packet) Lemon Jelly (If you're using Jell-O, check the weight)
100ml Boiling Water
125ml Cold Water
1 can (397g) Caramel Condensed Milk
5 Ripe Bananas
10ml Plain Gelatin, soaked in 25ml cold water
175ml Fresh Cream
Small piece of Peppermint Crisp Chocolate, grated, to decorate (optional)

1.) Pre-heat oven to 150 deg C (300 deg F) - Spray a 20 x 20cm oven dish with Spray 'N Cook.
2.) Mix the Tennis biscuit crumbs, melted Butter and Lemon juice - press this mixture onto the bottom of the oven dish - Bake 15 minutes - remove from oven and let cool completely.
3.) Dissolve the Lemon Jelly in the Boiling Water - add the Cold Water and refrigerate until about to set - pour evenly over the crust - Place back into the refrigerator until set (15 - 20 minutes)
4.) Meanwhile, beat the Caramel Condensed Milk until smooth - Mash the Bananas and add to the Caramel Condensed Milk.
5.) Dissolve the Gelatin over hot water - keep aside.
6.) Beat the Fresh Cream, whilst adding the Gelatin in a thin stream, until stiff - Fold this mixture into the Banana and Caramel and spoon over the jelly layer - Sprinkle Peppermint Crisp (if using) over the top and refrigerate a further hour or until set.

To serve: best to use a sharp knife to cut straight through to the crust.

Hope you'll enjoy!

Ciao for now,


Linking to these cool parties:





18 comments:

  1. Are you a baker by profession? if not, you should be! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, if you only know how many disasters I create.. lol and the poor family has to eat it !
      Linda

      Delete
  2. would have never thought to use jello or gelatin in a tart! I came over from Our Delightful Home link up. Excited to see more of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes it easier to slice, and maybe it's just me, but I think a tart/dessert are "colder" when using jello or gelatin ;-) [Great for hot days when one needs something cold but not as cold as ice-cream!}
      Linda

      Delete
  3. Linda you always share the best recipes and there is always an ingredient I've never heard of before! I love learning new things everytime I come here!! Thank you for sharing this at Mom's Test Meal Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda,
    This is a wonderful treat! Hope you have a great weekend and thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your weekend is going well. Thanks for sharing on Southern Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am inviting you to come and share this in my Show Your Stuff blog hop:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/09/show-your-stuff-40-baked-cheesy-potatoes.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUMMY! How can you go wrong with Banana and caramel. I'm kind of intrigued by the lemon jelly. I need to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a flavor combo I have never heard of but...I think it cold be good. Thank you so much for sharing on Tout It Tuesday. Hope to see you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great combo of flavors!!! I love banana and I love caramel...it goes so well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delish! I had to google hertzoggies ;) Jam and coconut tartlets/cookies?! They sound like they would be great too! Thank you for sharing at All my Bloggy Friends last week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda,
    This looks so good. I just love bananas and caramel together. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is opened at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/09/reeses-smore-brownies-and-wednesdays.html
    from Wednesday until Sunday.
    Hope to see you there.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks scrumptious! I can’t wait to try the recipe. Thanks so much for linking up last week to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you have for this week’s party! Have a great week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks delicious, Linda!! Thanks so much for linking up to Tasty Thursdays on The Mandatory Mooch!! I hope you will link up again. The party will be live tonight. http://www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for participating in Show Your Stuff Blog Hop, You are invited to come back:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/09/show-your-stuff-41.html

    ReplyDelete