Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Bobotie

Bobotie ~ Traditional South-African dish served with yellow rice #Bobotie #ComfortFood

I do not think there is a more traditional South-African classic dish as Bobotie. It is usually served with yellow rice (spicy or not, with raisins or without). I choose to serve this dish with simple yellow rice, using Turmeric to color.. it does not affect the taste too much and it goes well with the not overbearing spicy-ness of the Bobotie.

We were taught since high school (cooking class) to use the group method when making Bobotie...I have no idea why but 99% of the different recipes for Bobotie uses Groups A, B and C. It is also the only recipe I've ever seen with this, instead of just a jump between the "groups" or 1, 2 and 3, or filling, topping, crust etc.

Although, I have tried many Bobotie recipes, this one from the cookbook Gesinskos by Christelle Erasmus, is my favorite.

 Bobotie

GROUP A:

20ml Ground Ginger
30ml Soft Brown Sugar
10ml Curry Powder (I use medium - we're sissies concerning too hot food!)
15ml Turmeric
10ml Salt
Pinch Pepper
60ml Margarine
5 Medium Onions, chopped

GROUP B:

2 Slices White bread, crustless, dipped in water and then press out the water
1kg Ground Beef (Mince)
150ml Seedless Raisins
60ml Chutney
30ml Fine Apricot Jam
30ml Vinegar
30ml Worcestershire sauce
30ml Tomato Paste

GROUP C:

375ml Milk
2 Extra-Large Eggs

1.) Heat all the dry ingredients of Group A in a pot over medium heat - careful not to burn, you must just be able to smell it (1 - 2 minutes) - Add the Margarine and Onions to the pot and saute until the Onions are soft.
2.) Pre-heat oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) - Spray a large oven dish with Spray 'N Cook
3.) Add all the ingredients of Group B to the Onion mixture (stir well to combine all) - Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes,stirring regularly. Transfer to the prepared oven dish.
4.) Beat the Milk and Eggs (Group C) together and pour evenly over the meat mixture - Bake 45 minutes.

Remove from oven and let "rest" for 5 minutes, before serving.



Enjoy!

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Intrigued..? LOL - 1st time that has come up in my comments :-)
      Linda

      Delete
    2. I will have to try this ... Definitely on my "to make" list! By the ingredients, I almost imagine this to be savory-sweet? I can't think of anything in the States even remotely close to this!

      Delete
  2. Hi Linda,
    This looks so good. I need to make this soon.
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Found and followed you through Tastetastic Thursday. I just love your blog!

    Hope you check mine out as well :)
    http://www.the-not-so-desperate-chef-wife.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the seasoning of this dish. it is both exotic and familiar. I would love if you would share it with us today on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, I just love the combination of flavor in this awesome dish, it looks delicious. Hope you have a great weekend and thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds yummy, and looks comforting. Hope your weekend is going well. Thanks for sharing on Southern Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing, Linda. I will have to give this a try one day. I;m always up for trying a new type of dish. Thanks so much for sharing on Marvelous Mondays! :)

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delish. Just a couple of questions. Do you need to brown the ground beef before you combine it with the other ingredients? And is there some particular type of chutney you use? Thank you so much for sharing on Tout It Tuesday. Hope to see you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda,
    This looks delicious. I can't wait to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Linda,
    I love this recipe. It looks amazing. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is opened at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/09/reeses-smore-brownies-and-wednesdays.html
    from Wednesday until Sunday.
    Hope to see you there.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great meal idea!! Thanks so much for linking up to Tasty Thursdays on The Mandatory Mooch!! I hope you will link up again. The party will be live tonight. http://www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey great photos and love the recipe! I'm still trying to get up and running with my "Student Cookery" Blog...although I have about 10 recipes up...any tips?

    StudentCookery

    Studentcookery.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - I always thought this was such a difficult recipe - I guess because of the groupings thing (think that was too hard for my brain at Home Ec)So I've never tried to make this - you make it so easy. I'll let you know if I make it - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with Jamie....I'm intrigued by the sweet and savory of this dish! I too know of nothing like it here. Pinning this one to try as well. You've never steered me wrong yet with your wonderful recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUMMM, Linda! Another great share! Thank you:) Pinning this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Linda, I am thinking this recipe sounds amazing!! I love the spices that are used here. It sounds like comfort food to me! Thanks for linking up over at the IC!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know I already commented on this, but I'm looking at it again and wondering how you pronounce this? Thanks for linking it up at the IC party Linda!

    ReplyDelete