Thursday, August 30, 2012

Coffee Cream



Who loves Coffee?? Most people, I think, but I only have a cup .. uhm, maybe once every three/four months. Roy enjoys a cup now and then, the kids - not at all.

Two reasons I have coffee in the house - Jacobus is a coffee drinker, and the other reason is Vince, Cheri's boyfriend of the past two years .. now this guy really, really loves his coffee!


I  Prefer Iced coffee, especially after a visit to the supermarket - love the one Pick 'N Pay sells right at the entrance door, and then of course, some kind of coffee dessert. It shouldn't be overpowering but the coffee taste must definitely be there. 

My very first foodie post was actually COFFEE JELLOs which I love to make and definitely to eat!

I did not make two batches, one dark and one lighter as it might look -most of  the coffee "sunk" to the bottom {which is now the top after I removed it from the mold} , however, the flavor is a bit stronger in the darker part but still present in the lighter part.

Ok, I'm jabbering on and you want to see this easy recipe ...

Coffee Cream

adapted by me from the cookbook Lekker Vinnige Etes by Hilary Biller

20g Plain Gelatin
1/4 cup Water
2 cups Fresh Cream
1 t Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Caster Sugar
1/2 cup Strong Coffee (Espresso works best) - I used 2 TB Instant Coffee Powder
Sweet, slightly Vanilla flavored Whipped Cream
Hot Chocolate- / Chocolate Milkshake- or Cocoa Powder to sift over, optional

1.) Sprinkle the Gelatin, using a small microwavable bowl, over the Water until spongy.
2.) Meanwhile, heat the Fresh Cream, Vanilla and Caster Sugar over low heat until boiling point - remove from heat.
3.) Dissolve the Gelatin in the microwave - it is ready when runny and clear. (30 - 60 seconds)
4.) Add the Gelatin together with the Hot Coffee to the Cream - stir to mix well.
5.) Use a wet mold (at least 3 cups capacity) and pour the mixture into the mold - Refrigerate overnight to set.

Decorate and serve with Sweet Whipped Cream {and any of the above Powders sifted over, optional).

Thought I'll leave you with a close-up ...


Hope you enjoy!


Linking up with these cool parties:







39 comments:

  1. I am a coffee drinker ... usually 2-4 cups a day! I like it hot, iced, in other treats .... you name it! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How on earth do you fall asleep at night..? If I drink only one cup after, say, 2pm I'm awake all night..
      Linda

      Delete
    2. I do try to limit it to before lunch ... but on occasion, I have some after dinner ;)

      Delete
    3. Thank you for sharing your Coffee Cream last week at All my Bloggy Friends :)

      Delete
  2. I make something similar to this,but it's in colors so it needs to set in between layers. This looks amazing, I will try it immediately!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This look great Linda. I'm big on coffee. :-)

    Come join my blog hop! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! I Linked my FB page and found some pages to like as well - have a great week,
      Linda

      Delete
  4. this sounds very good and is very pretty

    come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie! Have a great day,
      Linda

      Delete
  5. I'm another coffee junkie. The idea of coffee cream sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Kim! Hope you have a great day,
      Linda

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, Simoney! It was gone in a flash ;-)
      Linda

      Delete
  7. The layers of this make it beautiful to look at and I'm sure it tastes as good as it looks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the first time I made this and I was quite surprised when I unmolded the dessert! I thought maybe the dark part will be too strong and the lighter part tasteless, but it turned out to be a new family favorite!
      Linda

      Delete
  8. This looks so good! I really like how it looks with how the coffee kind of sunk to the bottom, it's a really nice effect :)

    I would love it if you would link up at Martha Mondays, open now through Wednesday night!

    http://www.watchoutmartha.net/2012/09/martha-mondays-link-up-party-features-93.html

    ~Amanda
    www.watchoutmartha.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Heading over to your party now - have a great week!
      Linda

      Delete
  9. This looks amazing! I love coffee and love desserts. Win-win in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I wish I could only have one cup of coffee every few months! That recipe looks delicious, I'll have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing on Southern Sundays! Hope to see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love coffee - this looks like something I will love to make - Thank you for sharing at MightyCrafty Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous dessert. I am a huge coffee drinker so this is right up my alley. Thanks for sharing on Tout It Tuesday! Hope to see you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I heart my coffee...I love it even more in fun desserts!!! This is crazy good looking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Coffee once every 3-4 months? Wow, I wish I could do that! If I don't get my coffee by noon I get cranky! This recipe looks delish! Thanks for linking up!
    Barbara at Chase the Star

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for sharing this at the Weekend Wonders link party! Hope to see you back on Thursday Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an innovative use of coffee! I drink coffee almost every day, I'm sorry to admit! I am definitely hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Linda,
    This looks so good. My husband's birthday is in a few weeks. I am going to have to try making this for him. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is opened at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/09/reeses-smore-brownies-and-wednesdays.html
    from Wednesday until Sunday.
    Hope to see you there.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yum, looks delish! Love anything with coffee :) Thanks for sharing.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an amazing treat!! Thanks so much for linking up to Tasty Thursdays on The Mandatory Mooch!! I hope you will link up again. The party will be live tonight. http://www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't drink coffee but I defintely enjoy coffee inspired treats! This sounds tasty and looks so pretty. Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow yum, looks fabulous! Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks gorgeous -- love the layered effect with no extra work! Thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, that is beautiful, I have never heard of a dessert like that, sounds great. Thanks for linking up on Super Sweet Sunday,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      I featured your dessert today on Super Sweet Sunday. Looks so yummy.
      Steph

      Delete
  25. MMMMMM this not only sounds delish but it looks beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am in love with this. I am on the search for a good coffee cream for so long, since I planned a really special cake with it, and this here is the winner!

    ReplyDelete