Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Self Service Sign


First of all, apologies for the bad photo .. it is situated in an awkward corner, below some cupboards as you'll see in a photo further down.

It seems I share little pieces of the kitchen's progress with you as we go along! Must say, we are almost done and then I can share a whole picture (or I should say pictures) with you.

The kitchen's main colors are White, Black and Grey, but I want some bright colors here and there. This is only the first piece, and yes, I agree, not much color but hopefully once I add all the other little bits it will "pull" itself together.

I used an old frame which used to hang in my late Dad's lounge. The alphabet letters I found at Creative Clown's . I Immediately fell in love with these cuties and it took me a while to decide how and where I wanted to use them.

This is what I did:


My Dad's old frame - and some Black Spray Paint


After I sprayed the frame black, I lightly sanded it randomly - just to give it a little bit of a used look


After sanding it down, I gave the frame a final cover coat {clear}


In between the spraying and drying, I did the letters which I had cut out, mostly using scissors, but also my trusting craft knife for all the little nooks and roundings. The black back ground carton was in the frame from my Dad - I decided to stick the letters straight onto the black and then added a white border. As this goes into a frame with a glass front, I did not bother to use mod podge - also, with little things like this, I get bored very quickly and might want to change it in a few months time!

I've put in the final "Self Service Only" piece just to remind everyone they won't get any refreshments unless they make it themselves !{It is meant to look like an afterthought}


A Slightly bigger pic of the area where it is hanging - to the left is the juicer and to the right the kettle, coffee maker, cups and {not in pic} canisters containing coffee, tea and sugar.

I think you're starting to get an idea of my PLANS for the kitchen.. not yet? Ok, maybe another piece will be done tomorrow which I can share  ;-)

Ciao for now,


Linking up to these cool parties:









27 comments:

  1. I really like this. I have an area like that, and i love it . I am going to have to try something like that.
    Have a great day.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Debi - have a great day too!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love this!! You did a great job. HUGS sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kathy! And I really needed that hug today..
      Linda

      Delete
  4. I love your design - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! {The family wanted to know why I did not mention Milo, Milkshakes and Sodas as well on the board - I told them it's not a Menu Board..lol}
      Thanks for stopping by-have a great day,
      Linda

      Delete
  5. Looks great! Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! Thank you for sharing this at Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice job on the sign! Your kitchen looks so classy in black and white!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anita! Hopefully I can share ALL of the kitchen with you next week ;-)
      Linda

      Delete
  8. I love it!!!
    Thanks for sharing with my Super Link Party! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda, I NEED a sign like that too! So cute :-) Thanks for sharing at the party this week! I am also featuring this post on my Facebook page ♥
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kathe-With-An-E/202355163179771?bookmark_t=page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathe! I'll stop by your FB page - have a nice weekend,
      Linda

      Delete
  10. Very fun! Thanks for linking up at Wonderful Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute! Love the whole idea of a self-service sign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Danni! Quick and easy to make and then everyone will know there isn't a waitress around ;-)
      Linda

      Delete
  12. Very cute! I need a sign for my house. Thanks for sharing at OneCreativeMommy.com. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think this is so cute and a great reminder to my kids to make it themselves! Your kitchen is looking good with the black/white! Thanks for sharing at Gettin' Krafty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Neat idea :) Thanks for linking it up to the Keep Calm & Link Up party - see you again next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cool Sign! Thanks for linking up at Doodles & Stitches. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Simoney - have a lovely day!
      Linda

      Delete
  17. This will be one of the features tomorrow :) Thank you for sharing at All My Bloggy Friends last week. I can't wait to see what you share this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie! See you at the party tomorrow - hope you have a great day,
      Linda

      Delete
  18. What a great sign. We need one of these for our kitchen. Thanks for sharing on Tout It Tuesday. Hope to see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Linda,
    I love it! I'm going to make some of these for gifts for the holiday's. Thank you so much for linking up to Creative Thursday last week. I can’t wait to see what you’ve been working on this week. Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cute idea!! Thanks so much for linking up to Tasty Thursdays at The Mandatory Mooch. I hope you will link up again this week. The party will be live tonight!! www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete