Thursday, September 20, 2012

Coconut Ice {plain & mint}

Coconut Ice {Plain and Mint} ~ Make this popular candy at home without all the preservatives ~ Plain or Mint ! #CoconutIce #Candy

I made Coconut Ice, once, a long time ago. Today, I decided to make it again, it is really quick to make and not full of the preservatives found in some store-bought types.

The other thing is.... well, I have not made a Coconut anything in a while, and my craving has started up again.

I think that I mentioned before, I am a total Coconut freak - and I am sure my blog has gone through some withdrawals as well!

This is so easy - mix, color, shape ... no cooking, no baking. Go ahead, treat the kiddies {and yourself} to some today.

I made some plain and mint flavored today:

Coconut Ice {plain & mint}

4 cups Icing Sugar
1/2 t Cream of Tarter
4 cups Coconut
1 can (397g) Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 t Vanilla Essence
1/2 t Peppermint Essence
Green Food Coloring (do not use too much as the Peppermint is green as well)
Pink Food Coloring

1.) Sift together the Icing Sugar and Cream of Tarter - add the Coconut and mix well.
2.) Add the Condensed Milk - the mixture will be very stiff (I used a plastic sandwich bag over each hand, and mixed it all up with my hands - almost as if you are kneading)
3.) Transfer 1/4 of the mixture to a separate bowl - add the Peppermint Essence and a drop or two of Green Food coloring to this and use the knead method again to mix it very well - keep aside.
4.) Add the Vanilla Essence to the remaining 3/4 of the Coconut mixture - use same method to mix.
5.) Transfer the same amount as in step 3 to a separate bowl and add a few drops of Pink Food Coloring to this - mix again until the color is right.
6.) Spray two 20 x 20cm dishes (I used empty Ice-cream containers) with Spray 'N Cook. Use half of the mixture and press into the bottom of your dish - do the same with the other half into the second dish.
7.) Press the Peppermint flavored Coconut on top of one of the dishes containing a white layer - even it out.
8.) Repeat step 7 with the Pink colored Coconut in the second dish.
9.) Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes and cut into cubes or whatever shape you like {see my two little heart shaped ones.?}

Coconut Ice {Plain and Mint} ~ Make this popular candy at home without all the preservatives ~ Plain or Mint ! #CoconutIce #Candy
In very hot weather, leave it in a sealed container in the refrigerator, otherwise outside the fridge will be okay, not sure how long they would last out in the open for all to see though ..{whink}

21 comments:

  1. These sound great, too! Pinned them as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I'm your newest follower from five chefs blog hop. I would love it if you would follow me back: godsgrowinggarden.com
    Thanks
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good item to add to a tea party. They are pretty and sounds tasty. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Linda, coconut ice is my favourite, ive never thought to flavour it yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES!! I love coconut ice! I am definitely going to make this sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These wouldn't last long sitting around here! I love coconut and these look so pretty! Thanks for sharing at Gettin' Krafty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are just adorable and I'm sure they are tasty as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome, my dad loves coconut so need to make these for him. thanks for sharing! pinned :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great, both my daughter and I love coconut! Thanks for sharing! Would love it if you would stop by my blog http://FeedingBig.blogspot.com and Join the Foodie Friends Friday party! I don't think I saw that you had linked up there yet! Would love to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds so good. My son loves coconut ice cream. I am going to need to try this for him. Thanks so much for linking at Wednesday's Adorned From Above Link Party.
    Have a great weekend.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Linda,
    This is a lovely presentation and looks delicious. I would love to try this very soon. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda this looks terrific. Hopping over and following along from Freedom Friday xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love coconut! This sounds so good and would make a very pretty addition to a dessert/candy tray! Thanks for sharing on Busy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never had this, it sounds wonderful! I would love the mint. Thanks for linking up on Super Sweet Sunday.
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum, sounds fabulous! Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds delish!

    Thanks for joining Keep Calm & Link Up last week! We hope to see you again this Thursday evening! xo, Meredith @ www.waittilyourfathergetshome.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a "cool" idea! Thanks for joining the party at One Creative Weekend! I hope to see you back today.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks light and delicious! Loved and pinned. Thank you for sharing this at MightyCrafty Mondays...

    ReplyDelete