Sunday, September 2, 2012

Kitchen Cookbook Shelf


Yet again, another piece of my kitchen !

I have more cook books than I think I have clothes... seriously, if I must choose between clothes and a cook book, well, let's just say my clothes will stay outdated.

I used to keep my books on the counter close to my prep area - needless to say, I had to wipe them down very often. The books on these shelves are a TINY look-see of my collection - these are just my favorites. Many of my other books are now in a cupboard which was previously used for groceries - but since we built the Grocery Slider, I have so much more space! {And then the rest of my books .. in Roy's garage}.

Most of the photos were cropped quite a lot, as, even though the kitchen is almost ready, ... we are now busy with the Laundry, where in the above photo, the entrance to the Laundry is to the left of the Book Shelves. Now the kitchen is a bit messy again with all the stuff from the Laundry which is also the Scullery etc. {bit confusing, isn't it - but soon, very soon I'll share both these rooms with you}.

Some photos with explanations:


Materials used: 1 x 980mm x 200mm Double Sided Melamine (back board)
                        4 x 250mm x 250mm Double Sided Melamine (shelves)
                        4 x Fancy/frilly Metal Brackets (see note on the bottom **)
                        Iron-On Tape for the open Melamine sides
                        Screws and Covers/Caps


We first fastened the shelves with the brackets to the back board, which we then put up on the wall using screws and screw-covers/caps.


A closer look at the brackets - the kitchen is obviously on the right of the photo and the Laundry area behind the shelves (there is a counter with an opening on top behind this pic which looks into the Laundry).


Another closer look at the shelves with the books on them.

** I am not really a fancy/frilly type, but I had to get these brackets when I first saw them ! In the first photo one can see how cute the shelves look .. whilst in the store, Roy reminded me that this type of bracket will take up a lot of space on the inside, but, I wouldn't budge and reminded him in turn that cook books are available in various sizes and I'll pack my books accordingly! Now, this might work for me, but any strong bracket will do here, or even much smaller ones used two per shelf ? Just a personal choice on my side and I like how it turned out.

Where or how do you keep your cook books? {I'll rather not start on my diy/home imp/cooking/craft magazines and of course I am an avid reader - science/history/mystery/bio's/sports - most everything, but not romance or comedy ! }

Later,



Linking to these cool parties:













47 comments:

  1. Love your shelf idea. I was curious because I have cookbooks on the floor.
    Your shelves look beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I found you through
    "I should be mopping the floor". Please come by and look at my Savannah Living rooms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I visited your blog and fell in love with it - following you now via GFC.. have a great week,
      Linda

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for following. I am following back thru GFC. Have a safe holiday. Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love seeing the cookbooks stored this way. Very appealing. Any trouble with only having one bracket per shelf? I like the look of it that way!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem with the bracket .. I did forget to include that when we attached the shelves to the back board, we also nailed it from the back, using standard long nails suitable for wood. Thanks for stopping by, Liz!
      Linda

      Delete
  4. Oh that's such a pretty way to display them, handy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Mel - have a great day!
      Linda

      Delete
  5. What a super cute idea! I'd love for you to share at my MightyCrafty Mondays link party: http://mightycrafty.blogspot.com/2012/09/mightycrafty-mondays-round-10.html#.UESs-ZbTDfY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite, Lissa - I follow your blog via GFC, buttoned up and linked a few posts,
      Linda

      Delete
    2. I so appreciate your support! I followed yours too. :) Thank you for sharing at MightyCrafty Mondays!

      Delete
  6. I have been looking for a solution to having my cookbooks on display and your idea looks great. I to have a counter with a bunch of my books lined up and yes, they are not only taking up valuable counter space but they do need to be wiped down too often!
    Found you from Debbie-doos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope my idea will help you build one yourself - it took us about 1 1/2 hours to construct and mount! Thanks for stopping by,
      Linda

      Delete
  7. Great use of space. I love the look of the cookbooks on the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate a cluttered look, but still try to use all available space - look out for my Kitchen and Laundry reveals in the next week or so ;-)
      Linda

      Delete
  8. that looks great, and when in doubt, go up! i always need help thinking of ways to use my wasted space. it took me 5 years and blog inspiration to see that i could add some shelves to my kitchen, which would be a better use than one sorry poster on a big wall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree ! And this specific piece of wall had nothing {not even a poster ;-) } on it before. Thanks for stopping by,
      Linda

      Delete
  9. I have way too many cookbooks as well! I have to go from my study where they are on the bookcase, and back into the kitchen which is a pain. When I redo my kitchen I definately want to incorporate shelves for the books, I didnt think of stacking them like you have though, you can fit a lot more on the shelves that way too. Great idea ... I think you should reward yourself by buying yourself another cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These shelves are so wonderful. I am looking for the perfect place to put this great idea. I would love it if you could share this wonderful post at our What’s it Wednesday linky party. I hope you can join us.

    Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE it Linda! I need one too!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this so much, found you over at Something swanky, i have been looking for a great idea for my cookbooks, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a perfect fit!I came over from Michelle's Tasty Creations. I'm excited to see more of your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those turned out great! I have tons of cookbooks too, and I could really use something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it!!!
    Thanks for sharing with my Super Link Party! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it - looks so great. May have to "steal" the idea! Joining from Shine On Fridays http://allthoseartsygirls.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really need this in my kitchen! Love the idea.
    Hugs, Jen @ frazzled5

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like you've made great use of the space. I have a great love for cookbooks too, with not enough room to have them all accessible. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm a new Networked Blogs follower. I hope you'll visit me at Posed Perfection and maybe even follow me back. Have a great weekend!
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really need to add some of these shelves in my kitchen. The brackets added so much to it. Thanks for sharing at Bouquet of Talent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very cute. I too have too many cookbooks for my available space. Thank you so much for sharing on Tout It Tuesday. Hope to see you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great shelf idea! Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks so much for linking your shelves up to my party! Stop by tomorrow and link up another great link! Also, there will be a great giveaway celebrating 10,000 views at House on the Way!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Linda,
    Great project and it turned out beautiful. Thanks so much for linking up last week to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you have for this week’s party! Have a great week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really like the brackets you used :) Great job Thanks so much for sharing this at the Weekend Wonders link party! Hope to see you back on Thursday Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Linda,
    I love your shelves. They are so pretty. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is opened at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/09/reeses-smore-brownies-and-wednesdays.html
    from Wednesday until Sunday.
    Hope to see you there.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great job!! Thanks so much for linking up to Tasty Thursdays on The Mandatory Mooch!! I hope you will link up again. The party will be live tonight. http://www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
  27. Linda,
    What a pretty way to display your books and yet keep them near for use. Look forward to seeing what you come up with next!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous, I love the scrolly L brackets! Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This shelf is awesome! I love the simplicity of it, but it looks amazing! Thanks so much for sharing at our Pinteresting Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Linda this is a very clever idea. I have a cupboard full of cookbooks. Problem is that I have to pull some out to get to those in the back. I would really love to do this. The only problem is that my kitchen is very open and I have zero wall space. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for submitting to SHOW-licious Craft Showcase. http://sew-licious.blogspot.com/2012/10/show-licious-sunday-craft-showcase-4.html. :) I hope you return again this weekend and post more of your great crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is very pretty with a practical presentation. I like it :) We store ours on a homemade shelf up in the kitchen and like you, books make first priority with the budget. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very neat, and looking great.
    Thanks for sharing and linking up on Tutorial Thursday, much appreciated.
    x
    Natalie
    www.marigoldsloft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. My cookbook is always covered in food. i need one of these. it's so convenient!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis