Sunday, September 9, 2012

Kitchen Make-Over {Budget-Friendly}


FINALLY - The Kitchen is done !! Get ready for lots of photos - I'll try to keep my usual ramblings to a limit {whink}.... 

***One thing before we get started - the point of our make-over was to spend as little money as possible and to re-use old things for a new purpose and also rather to make things ourselves rather than buy new. The only item I REALLY splurged on.. yep, the glass mosaic tiles.***


BEFORE: the tiles must go ! Tired of the red after 18 years ..nothing is organized!


First pic top left - open counter to the laundry/dish washing area
Pic on the far right(top) - two end (top/bottom) cabinets to be removed and the steel shelf used to store all the small appliances to move to laundry
Pic on far left(bottom) - old storage area for spices, under the breakfast bar!
Middle pic (bottom) tiny island to move up against the wall where the fridge are now
Bottom far right - Fridge to move to the area in the pic right above (where the 2 cabinets will be removed and together with the steel shelves move to the laundry)


Wall tiles have been removed and painted a light grey - drawer/cabinet handles and trim (all plastic) spray-painted with Rust-O-Leum for Plastic {BLACK}. Kickplates painted black.We installed a strip (150mm high) of glass mosaic tiles all-round the kitchen walls. Made and installed the KITCHEN COOKBOOK SHELF  on the right next to the entrance to the laundry. We also fixed the existing cornices, painted these and the ceiling a fresh coat of white PVA.


I made a simple no-frill (hang straight) curtain from the same fabric as I used for the old toy-box turned KITCHEN BENCH seen in the photo just before the above. Lunch-making station has moved from under the window to the counter above the Kitchen Bench.


We made and installed the DIY GROCERY SLIDER next to the fridge - now in it's new corner. All the spices was moved from under the breakfast bar to new spaces which opened up thanks to the Grocery Slider acting as a "pantry" now. There are Bar stools (see pic further down) on the other side of the breakfast bar. By opening up the counter for this area the kitchen appeared larger immediately. (This was done a year or two ago already!)


Just turning the view a bit to the left - Beverage- Lunch making- stations now in the corner left - a piece of my prep area can be seen on the left (the flowers are on the counter dividing the kitchen  from the laundry/sink area)


This is the view when sitting at the breakfast bar or when passing in the passage - I left the Grocery Slider a little open in this shot


Same view as previous pic, but the Grocery Slider is closed. (it is flush with the fridge even though it doesn't seem like it!) Blame it on the photographer.. uhm,,,which is me.


I took this photo from the passage showing the bar stools at the breakfast bar as well as the one entrance into the kitchen (there is another entrance next to the fridge from the dining room). One can see the different wall color here - most of the walls in the house are painted GRECIAN WHITE.


1.) We kept our old light - I like it as one can direct the light whichever way it is needed
2.) Just a cute "Kitchen Rules" wall ornament I picked up at Crazy Store this morning!
3.) I Love my "CHEFS" collection - this hangs above the breakfast bar (on the kitchen side) - The breadman is standing tall next to the bread bin and the chef with the menu board as well as the one holding the toothpicks are on the breakfast bar.
4.) The lights above the breakfast bar


1.) A Framed brass collection of our Big 5 - we won this in a raffle (not really my taste, but it goes with the curtain etc fabric..) and the ticket only cost five rand.
2.) Thanks to OVER THE BIG MOON for the free printables you can find HERE , I framed them with simple clip glass frames.
3.) Above the extractor fan, over the electric stove, is a wooden fork/spoon set - also a five rand raffle prize.
4.) I used to grow parsley on the window sill, but decided on Violets this time - the little tea-pot is a Red Cross Store find. My Wire-hen always has eggs in her tummy .. but the Fruit bowl is, unfortunately, not always packed...


1.) Take-Away condiments and all sorts of sauces ! Yes, I keep them, one never knows who is craving what restaurant's sauce or salad dressing (I even keep the little packets of sugar and salt - many a time we've run out, usually in the morning, and then they come in handy). I used to throw them into a drawer, but that started to work on my nerves, so, I took a glass jar, some velvet ribbon around the neck and an old "Rose" shaped perfume cap (stolen from Cheri's room) and glued that to the top. Perfectly good to have as an original "LINDA" ornament, don't you think?
2.) I know those little glass cloches are for jams etc, but I like to keep mints and other sweeties in there - the knife block which I spray-painted - go HERE to see how I did this (a paper towel holder and a cup holder as well).
3.) Ah, my KITCHEN COOKBOOK SHELF - I am so glad we made this, it looks lovely and keeps my books out of the way, but within easy reach ... but above all CLEAN as I used to keep them on the counter near the prep sink.
4.) A little collection of tea-light holders, together with some votive candles I bought ( I might need to re-spray them, the sun has faded them a bit...)




Last printable on the wall (directly above the entrance to the laundry) - but definitely the most important and dearest to me - I hung it where I can see and read it every day. I found this on the sweet Michelle's blog, over at PRINTABELLE  as a free printable (go HERE to see this) - after I told her I was going to use it in my kitchen, we had some e-mails exchanged and I found out that we have quite a lot in common as well as the same feeling regarding responsibility - thanks again Michelle.. for the print and especially the chats.




And lastly ... BEFORE & AFTER next to each other!




I am leaving you with a last photo in this post .. with a TINY, TINY peak into our laundry, (on the other side of the counter on which the flowers are)  which I hope the post will go up right after this one....

Hope you enjoyed this post and will find some inspiration in re-using goods, and also to have faith that if there's a will - there is a way! First take a look at something you want to buy, and then make sure you can't make it yourself.

Later,


Linking up with these cool parties:









  













58 comments:

  1. What a difference! This looks great, Linda ... and to know you did it yourself! Your last paragraph is a good reminder. :) Love the new tiles and your huge window with all that natural light! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing this at All my Bloggy Friends last week. I can't wait to see what you share tomorrow! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, that looks just so striking with the white, I would love to cook in that kitchen. The tiles are beautiful and I'm so flattered and happy to see my print in your lovely new kitchen. What an awesome upgrade! You are so incredibly productive with your delicious recipes, fun crafts and home remodeling! I sure enjoyed chatting with you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful kitchen! I'm visiting from Debbiedoos and am your newest follower :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job. Lots of little changes sure have made a difference. I love the cookbook shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work, it looks so clean and modern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I am trying to get my husband to ok grey in our kitchen and living room, maybe I will show him this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely the island block in the center took away from the kitchen before. I wonder how much you ended up spending on this to give other an idea how much it will really entail. Awesome ideas to make this a crisp, clean tidy area. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda - This is amazing, love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of work has gone into that kitchen I bet you must be so happy to be cooking up a storm in there now :) I really like the bar stools too, red is a great pop of colour for the kitchen it stimulates the appetite :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a great breakfast bar. i love the black trim, and that slide out storage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know you are so glad to have it done! It looks great and I love how bright and fresh it looks now! Thanks so much for sharing at Gettin' Krafty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE it!!! You did such a beautiful job!
    Thanks for sharing with my Super Link Party! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so impressed! Thanks for sharing your creativity at It's Overflowing Party! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love your kitchen. It's so nice and bright and the counter top space is amazing (I have a 2 foot length and another 1 foot length to work with in our tiny kitchen.)

    I also love the kitchen bench, the lunch prep area and hte grocery slider...so cool!

    Thanks for linking up to our Finished Friday Link-Up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the curtain in the huge window. Gorgeous! Great job. I’m so glad you linked this up at One Creative Weekend! I love it! Hope your weekend is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful makeover! Love your kitchen! Fresh, clean and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Enjoy your fab new kitchen :) Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks great. I look forward to seeing you at My Dream Canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Linda, this looks fantastic!! It's so not easy to make things feel new when using what you have. I've tried it! But, wow! Looks great!

    Thanks for sharing on the All Star Block Party!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love Love Love!! Well done!! thanks for sharing ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a transformation! Love it so much. Thank you for sharing at MightyCrafty Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow what a difference! Great job!

    Thanks for joining us at the Keep Calm & Link Up party this week - hope to see you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love how small changes and make BIG differences.. Thanks for linking up at friday fun party

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, you have been one busy lady! It looks amazing. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent linking party. :) I featured your awesome dessert party ideas. Don't forget to grab your button. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations! You've been featured on this week's Martha Mondays! :) Swing by to pick up a "Featured" button and do a little bragging! :)

    http://www.watchoutmartha.net/2012/09/martha-mondays-link-up-party-features_16.html

    Amanda
    www.watchoutmartha.net

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow Linda, what a great makeover. I love the black and white contrast and those glass tile are gorgeous.
    I found your blog from Funky Junk SN152. I will definitely be back to try these recipes and I am a follower.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the after. Everything looks so streamlined! Thanks for sharing on Tout It Tuesday! Hope to see you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great job! It's amazing what a some simple, budget friendly changes can do.!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Another great project Linda! You're fast becoming my most favourite linker! Thanks so much for coming back each week to link up. I've featured this at tomorrow's party.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Terrific transformation. Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursdays on The Mandatory Mooch. I hope you link up again this week. The party will be live tonight. www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, gorgeous! You guys did an amazing job! Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Linda, this came out great. I love the black and white instead of the red, and I love your glass tiles. You guys did a great job. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week.
    Have a great week.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lovely transformation! Love the black and white color scheme and all the thought that went into making it an efficient work space. Those little decorating touches are just perfect! Thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  34. You've been featured! Thanks for linking up at Wednesday Whatsits. http://www.whitelightsonwednesday.com/2012/09/wednesday-whatsits-27.html

    ReplyDelete
  35. WOW! Beautiful job! I love the new look. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your kitchen turned out beautifully! What an AMAZING transformation! Great job! Hopped over from Western Warmth and I'm happy to be your newest follower. Would love to have you stop by for a visit! Blessings ~ Judy

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love the way your kitchen turned out! I love even more that it's budget friendly! Thank you so much for linking up to my first linky party at Artsy Corner I hope that you'll come back every week with your fun projects!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow, what a fantastic makeover!! Your kitchen looks amazing!
    Thanks for linking up to Artsy Corner! Can't wait to see what you link up next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a wonderful new space! I bet you are in th heaven. You really did do a great job. thanks for sharing with SYC.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  40. The black looks great! What a transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  41. wow. great tiles. great makeover, great breakfast nook. lovely. Thank you for sharing on the blog in the linky 'Time for a Party'. We'll have a new party tomorrow! Hope to seeing you again! (although I don't expect such a mega-project like this each week. don't worry)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow! It looks great. I love the modern feel that you added. Amazing! Thank you for linking up at Doodles & Stitches :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. It's very clean and fresh yet, modern and vintage. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Great job Linda! I love the tiles around the backsplash and your new colors will go with so many things so you can change up accessories occasionally. I love the slider pantry also. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Transformed Tuesday! So many ideas we can take from this.
    Hugs,
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda your #1 later tonight on Transformed Tuesday.
      Hugs,
      Peggy

      Delete
  45. What a wonderful update. It looks great!! I host a DIY and home renovation link party every Monday and would love for you to join! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-diyers-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  46. subtle but makes a huge difference! I really like the backsplash.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Your kitchen looks amazing! We did an inexpensive remodel a few years ago. Unfortunately I forgot to take before pictures. Probably cause I didn't get the room cleaned in time. I keep old condiment containers too. It comes in handy when you run out of something.

    ReplyDelete
  48. This is beautiful! I chose it as a feature from my link party last week. Thanks for sharing it!!

    ReplyDelete