Sunday, September 30, 2012

Mushroom & Cheese Egg Puffs




Since the kids left school, {Dimitri - 2010 and Cheri - 2011} they are forever missing in action. Both have drivers licences, so they come and go as they like.

I do not have a problem with that, as long as I know where they are and that they're alright, it is fine by me.

The thing I do have a problem with, is to suddenly cook only for two. Now, this is every weekend and during the week I might have to cook for all five of us {Jacobus included}, sometimes there are four of us and other times it is only Roy and myself.

I thought the best solution for my serious problem is to cook a full meal, and freeze half when it is just the two of us .. but then again, I am not fond of defrosted food and Roy dislikes it even more. We also can not, both money-wise and waist-wise, afford to get take-aways every time!

Before the kids, it was just the two of us, and I never seemed to have a problem then to cook a full meal - you know, meat, rice, veggies and a dessert... So, WHAT IS DIFFERENT NOW? Old age or plain laziness?

This was our Sunday lunch today - more a breakfast, but we are known to eat breakfast for dinner, no big train smash .. food is food, this was quick and filling - with bacon and toast on the side. {And of course dessert as well}

This recipe makes 12 large Puffs {I call them puffs because they are about double the size as on the photo when just taken out of the oven, but almost similar to a souffle, it looses the puffiness quickly}. We had some and I put the rest in the refrigerator to snack on - very nice cold as well.

Mushroom & Cheese Egg Puffs

Recipe adapted by me from the cookbook : LEKKER VINNIGE ETES

1 Large Onion, chopped finely
Oil
250g Button Mushrooms, sliced
2 TB Chives, chopped finely
1 cup Cheddar, grated
4 Extra-Large Eggs
4 TB Flour
1 t Mustard Powder
2 cups Milk
Salt & Black Pepper, to taste

1.) Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) - Spray a 12 hole muffin pan with Spray 'N Cook.
2.) Saute the Onion in a little Oil until soft - Add the Mushrooms and chopped Chives - Cook until the Mushrooms are soft and all liquid has evaporated.
3.) Spoon the Mushroom mixture into the bottom of the muffin pan holes - Sprinkle the Cheddar Cheese over this mixture. (The holes should look about half-full by now)
4.) Beat the Eggs, Flour and Mustard Powder together - add the Milk and beat until smooth - Season with Salt and Black Pepper to taste.
5.) Pour the Egg mixture over the Cheddar Cheese layer - fill each muffin hole to the top (Yes, right to the top..) - Bake 30 minutes.
6.) When it has puffed up nicely, it is done!

Remove from the oven, but leave to stand in the muffin pan for 5 minutes, then using a table spoon, gently loosen the edges and it will lift out easily.

Serve and enjoy!    - whatever time of the day  ;-)

Ciao,

 
Linking up with these cool parties:



11 comments:

  1. Oooh, have you linked this in to Food on Friday yet?. Must go and look to see! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again, Linda. Just to let you know that you are now one of Carole's Chatter's five Featured Food Blogs for October. Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea, Linda. These would be great for our Meatless Monday meal or a quick breakfast! Pinned it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I could use almond flour to make it low-carb! I found you via the Melt in your Mouth Link Party! I am following you now. I'm starting a new creative meme on Friday and I'd love you to join us!

    Diana
    Diana Rambles
    Bento Blog Network
    Link Rink

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking this in. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband would love these. He loves mushrooms!
    Thanks for linking up to MTM Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look delicious. I love cheese and mushrooms. Great for parties if made in little muffin tins.

    ~we may have met by chance...but we become friends by choice.
    http://www.simpleesue.com/try-one-new-recipe-a-week-vadalia-onion-custard-bread

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great dish! thanks for joining Southern Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a perfect meal any time of day! I haven't figured it out either -- why is it so hard to scale back after cooking for four or five? Maybe it's because we are more relaxed with the kids taking responsibility for their own schedules and lives?? Thanks for linking on Busy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great brunch item. I will pin these.

    ReplyDelete