Sunday, September 30, 2012

Quick Oven Meatballs



Meatballs has to be one of the most comforting types of food and a saucy recipe like this one I am sharing today, it  is very versatile - Serve them over rice, mashed potatoes, polenta, in a sub or make a delicious sandwich!

I made this when we were still in the middle of Winter, it is also one of Cheri's favorite dishes. {And an added bonus - it is low fat}

This is another recipe from the cookbook Spyskaarte vir Elke Seisoen by Annette Human. If you have been following my recipes for a while now, you should know that this lady is one of my favorite cookbook writers - I have several of her books and am yet to find a recipe I do not like. {Not saying I do not do some tweaking every now and then..}

The original recipe mentions that you do not have to pre-heat the oven, but I do anyway - at least 10 minutes before the dish is due to go into the oven.

Quick Oven Meatballs


2 thick slices of Whitebread, crusts removed
1 Large Onion, chopped finely
1 Medium Tomato, peeled and chopped finely
2 TB Corn Flour
2 TB Vinegar
2 Extra-Large Eggs
1 kg Extra-Lean Beef Mince (Ground Beef)
1 TB Ground Coriander
1/2 TB Salt
1/2 t Black Pepper
1/2 t Nutmeg
Pinch of ground Cloves
1 TB Butter, melted 
1/4 cup Boiling Water

1 cup Beef stock (low in salt)
1 - 2 TB Tomato Sauce
1 TB Gravy Thickener (I like to use BISTO)

1.) Soak the Whitebread in cold water - press out all water (it will almost look and feel like dough}
2.) Place the Whitebread, Onion and Tomato in a large mixing bowl.
3.) Mix the Corn Flour with the Vinegar - add to the ingredients in the mixing bowl - beat the Eggs and add this as well - add the Beef Mince, Ground Coriander, Salt, Black Pepper, Nutmeg and Cloves to the mixing bowl.
4.) Stir or knead the mixture until all is combined well (Hands work best)
5.) At this point I pre-heat my oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) - spray an oven dish with a lid with Spray 'N Cook.
6.) Pour the melted Butter and Boiling water into the oven dish and stir to mix - Form golf ball sized meatballs and place in the oven dish - I usually end up with 2 - 3 layers - cover with the lid and bake for one hour until done.
7.) Mix the Beef stock, Tomato sauce and Gravy Thickener - add to the oven dish and gently stir through - replace lid and bake another 10 - 15 minutes until the sauce has thickened.

These are meatballs !  Serve the way you prefer  ;-)

I like them with rice and two veggies on the side, but that's me.  Let me know what is your favorite way of serving meatballs and maybe I can get out of the rice & meatball ritual?

Ciao for now,


Linking up with these cool parties:








10 comments:

  1. great :)
    will try, sounds very yummy :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! thanks for linking up to Southern Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. everything you post is so delicious looking!! thanks again for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe! I also love them with rice and veggies. Here in the southern US, sometimes we even eat meatballs with cornbread. Have you ever tried that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Linda,
    This looks so good.
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Meatballs look delicious, a great recipe. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! Hubby is a huge fan of meatballs! Bookmarked this one as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete