Thursday, September 20, 2012

Tropical Oreo Cheesecake



Sometimes an idea can actually turn into a delicious recipe - this one definitely did!

I bought a few containers of Cream Cheese two weeks ago {it was on special ... and I hate loosing out on specials..}. Of course, I did not know what I'll use them for, but, Cream Cheese is so versatile. 

Anyway, I have a chilled compartment in my fridge side of the refrigerator and this is where I store whatever I buy in big quantities, butter and margarine as well. So, I do not always look in there and forgot about it.

The other night when I took out a new tub of margarine, I saw all these Cream Cheese containers - well, I'll have to use them as their expiry date is in a week or two... I started with this dessert the next morning, using only what was on hand.

A while ago, Michelle, from over at Michelle's Tasty Creations , and I, sent each other some biscuits which is only available in our own countries. Now, one of the items she sent me was some of Graham Crackers, I again, on the other hand sent her some of our Tennis biscuits which I like to use in my recipies.

After doing major research a little test-run with some of them, I found that in which ever recipe I use Tennis biscuits, it can easily be replaced with Graham Crackers.

Tropical Oreo Cheesecake


1 packet (80g MOIRS) Tropical Jelly (Jello)
300ml Boiling Water
6 - 8 Graham Crackers
250g Cream Cheese, softened
250 ml Fresh Cream, whipped
1/2 can (of a 397g) Condensed Milk
16 Oreo cookies (I used the brown Oreo)
Hot Chocolate Powder, for dusting


1.) Dissolve the Jelly in the Boiling water and set aside to cool down.
2.) Once the Jelly is cooled, pour a small amount in a 20 x 30cm dish - cover the bottom - place a single layer of Graham Crackers on top of the Jelly in the dish.
3.) Beat the Cream Cheese until very creamy - add the Condensed Milk and beat until well combined.
4.) Fold in the Whipped Fresh Cream to the Cream Cheese mixture - do not over-mix.
5.) Add the remaining dissolved Jelly and stir until combined - break the Oreo cookies in pieces (keep one or two for decorating, optional) and add to the Cream Cheese mixture, stir to just mix.
6.) Pour mixture on top of the Graham Crackers and dust with Hot Chocolate Powder - refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.


The Tropical jelly definitely gave it a one of a kind taste but I am sure any flavor would do.

Later,


Linking with these cool parties:


  

12 comments:

  1. This sounds great, Linda! So glad you and Michelle got to switch biscuits/crackers and try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It amazes me what can be done with Oreos. This looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun flavor combination! Thanks for sharing this yummy dessert at Gettin' Krafty this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you got to try the graham crackers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stomach is growling! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda,
    Woohoo! Thanks for the shout out. You'll be seeing the Tennis Biscuits soon too. The sure are yummy. This cheesecake looks amazing! I love cheesecake and Oreo's. Thanks for linking up this wonderful dessert to Creative Thursday :) Have a great weekend.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. what an interesting combination! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Linda,
    We are just coming into fall weather here, what season are you coming into there? Your recipe looks delicious, I love to just experiment with great food. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, that sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so good Linda. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is opened at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/10/jasmine-body-butter-and-wednesdays.html
    from Wednesday until Sunday.
    Hope to see you there.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks fantastic!

    Thanks for joining Keep Calm & Link Up last week! We hope to see you again this Thursday evening! xo, Meredith @ www.waittilyourfathergetshome.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! Looks delicious. Loved and pinned. Thank you for sharing this at MightyCrafty Mondays...

    ReplyDelete