Sunday, October 7, 2012

Beach Inspired Bookshelf

Beach Inspired Bookshelf ~ Easy DIY ~ Fits in with all "beach themed" rooms ! #Bookshelf #BeachThemed



Our next project for the house!  Master Bedroom - Beach Themed...

After we finished the Kitchen and the Laundry, which you can read about HERE and HERE , we wanted to start on the master bedroom as soon as possible. But, once again, we will start with the smaller decor pieces. There is not much to do in the bedroom, as I started leaning more to  the beach-theme quite a while ago. The only area which will have a total make-over will be the floor - we used to have a carpet in the bedroom, but got rid of that last weekend - we will replace it with laminated flooring (most of the house has already been fitted with laminated floors) ... we just need to decide whether we want to use the same color in the bedrooms, or something different.

In one of my previous posts I mentioned that Roy and I went rummaging through a rubbish dump - Reason: I could not find one single piece of wood, which I had in mind. So, we found it here, at a mini garden refusal dump, which apparently is undergoing a clean-up and what-not. {Only, .. we haven't seen anything happening here for months, and this is also the only site we use for our garden refusal - 5 minutes from our house}



I struck gold, or should say "wood" out here - found the following piece ... even Chichi is wondering what on earth her Mommy brought home ;-)


Clearly, this USED to be a table top of some sort..?? Fine by me! It is old, chipped and splintery - just what I wanted for this project, oh .. and FREE!


Roy cut it into a back-piece and three shelves - I  told him to go wild! Chip it, break it, chop pieces off - At first, he did it in a way which looked like it was planned ... no, no Roy, I said go wild! And wild he DID GO!
I loved what he eventually came up with :-)


We did not use any brackets on this bookshelf, as I only need a place to leave a couple of books close to my bed {usually, my bedside table is FULL of books - I tend to read more than one at a time} The other bookshelf is in the lounge. The above picture shows how the shelves were fastened to the back-piece - 5 or 6   50mm (2 inch) screws which is suitable for wood. For the few books I'll keep on this shelf, it is plenty strong enough.



A Few shots of the front and sides, above.

Beach Inspired Bookshelf ~ Easy DIY ~ Fits in with all "beach themed" rooms ! #Bookshelf #BeachThemed

I then used Rust-O-Leum Spray paint {for wood and metal} and sprayed it white - I gave two light coats, and loved the way it looked. The spray paint did not go into the cracks {another few coats, or more attention will cover it - but I liked it as it was}. Lastly, I gave it two coats of clear Sealant (also Rust-O-Leum), which made it feel smoother and also sealed the cracks without loosing the look.

Beach Inspired Bookshelf ~ Easy DIY ~ Fits in with all "beach themed" rooms ! #Bookshelf #BeachThemed

I really, really love this ! The bookshelf hangs slightly to the right, above my bed side-table - I only need to get up when reading at night to get a different book or to replace. {I can not sleep without reading a few hundred pages at night - anyone else have that problem?}

Another post to follow - hint.... bed side Lamps!

37 comments:

  1. I love the bookcase Linda
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely great outcome and functional for a book shelf or any decoration. The wild look is fantastic. Loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that used old wood to do this. Great up cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this shelf!! I'd definitely put it in my own home!! Thanks for linking up! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the coolest shelf..... well.... EVER!!!
    How awesome is that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your beach theme designs! Thanks so much for sharing at my party!
    Leslie
    House on the Way

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on the bookcase! Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great! Such a good use of that wood!
    Rebecca
    heronscrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing idea! Thanks for sharing! Thanks for linking up to PIN MEme! I've pinned & tweeted this!

    Diana
    Diana Rambles
    Bento Blog Network
    Link Rink

    ReplyDelete
  10. That really is an amazing idea! Stopping by from PIN MEme :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the whitewashed beach look!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My neighbor NEEDS this, I bet we could do it with some drift wood off the beach. Thanks for the idea.
    Stepahnie
    swtboutique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great! Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fun! I love to read at night, too. Just finished "Gone Girl"...whoa! good.
    www.therapyonwry.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Linda I really like the way the shelf turned out. Rustic charm for sure. It's neat how the paint didn't fill in the cracks. Gave it a great look. Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love DIY projects! And your shelf looks fantastic! I'd love to makeover our master bedroom! Thank you for posting this!

    Rebecca
    www.abeautifulruckus.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh, those shelves are amazing! I love that weathered wood look. Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wanted to let you know I featured this today on my blog! You can check out the feature and grab a button here: http://practicallyfunctional.net/2012/10/the-fun-in-functional-link-party-21/

      Delete
  18. I love your shelves! So creative, and it looks great. Thank you so much for sharing again this week at A Bouquet of Talent. Just love seeing your amazing projects. Have a wonderful week. :)
    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love this bookshelf! been browsing your posts. love the reed headboard as well. found you at the Gunny Sack. there's a party at my place if you feel like stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the beach theme. You really transformed that piece of wood! Amazing. Thanks for sharing at Gettin' Krafty!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Rustic Beachy goodness. Great job.

    Thank you for linking up at the Wildly Original party
    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So unique - Loved and pinned. Thanks for sharing at MightyCrafty Mondays...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this shelf!! So beautiful! You did an amazing job.

    Thanks so much for sharing at Artsy Corner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Featuring this today at Jed and Ivy!
    http://jedandivy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am drooling over this! I pinned it!

    I would love it if you would link this up over at F-it Fridays as well! http://www.parloandlogi.com/132/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very cool! I love love love it. I want one :) Thanks for linking it up at Doodles and Stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Super shelving! Thanks for sharing over on Tutoiral Thursdays, much appreciated.
    x
    Natalie
    www.marigoldsloft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey Linda, I love all the projects you linked up last week! This one is especially cute!
    Thanks so much for linking up last week at the Humble Brag! Hope to see you back tomorrow to link up more great projects. Also, you were our big winner of free ad space this week! So stop by and check out your ad while you're linking up!
    http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/the-humble-brag-link-party-6/

    ReplyDelete
  29. wow very nice you made it very nicely thanks for ideas to see some other styles
    click here

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'd say that's Ruggely good looking! ;)

    Thank you for partying with the Wildly Original Crowd this year. I love seeing what your up to and enjoyed featuring you.

    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I need to do something like that. I love to read before I go to sleep at night.. End results is a stack of books on my nightstand.

    Tabby
    http://www.shoppingwives.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. This project looks great! I am also doing a beachy themed bedroom makeover, so I was intrigued by yours. I like too that it's not perfect. I think that adds to the appeall of it. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  33. It's an adorable idea and it turned out so well!
    Liz @ Quirky Vistas

    ReplyDelete
  34. Im jealous of you wood finds! Please come over and share at our 1st linky party!!
    http://www.lifewelive4.com/2013/03/love-it-list-it-linky-party.html
    :) Laura from LifeWeLive4

    ReplyDelete