Thursday, October 4, 2012

Hertzoggie Cookies



This is another South-African favorite!   {Crust, jam filling and  a coconut topping}

I have to admit - I hate baking cookies... muffins is okay, cupcakes again, ugh, I am no good with icing {the decorating part}, whatever method/recipe I try, it always looks off  - at least the cupcakes with the icing tastes alright...mostly...

But I like Hertzoggies and the ones at the supermarkets are really becoming a joke. The other day I found three, out of a packet of twelve, with no filling.

The only other place to get them is at a good Home Industry store - but that can be expensive.

I have baked some before, made a complete mess {used too much jam in the filling..}, not once but three times. Some of the recipes read that the egg-white must be beaten stiff - almost like making meringue, this also did not work out.

Today, I looked through my Springbok Kitchen cookbook again and found this recipe, which is GREAT! I made the Hertzoggies exactly as per the recipe and I am happy with the results. Next time I might just add a tiny bit more of the egg-white mixture on top - in the next pic you can see some of the jam almost burst through the topping ;-)




However tempting it might be - DO NOT overdo it with the jam! One teaspoon is more than enough.

One thing before we get on with the recipe - all recipes I have ever seen {or cookies eaten}have used Fine Apricot Jam (Jelly in some countries), but if you want to try other flavors .. up to you, but I hope you will at least have a few the way we have them traditionally.

Hertzoggie Cookies (makes 24)


2 cups Cake Flour
2 t Baking Powder
1/2 t Salt
2 TB Sugar
125g Butter, cut into small blocks
3 Extra-Large Eggs, separated
2 TB Ice Cold Water

Smooth/Fine Apricot Jam (Jelly)
3/4 cup Fine Coconut
3/4 cup Caster Sugar

1.) Sift the Cake Flour, Baking Powder, Salt and Sugar together into a medium mixing bowl - Add the Butter and rub it into the Flour with you fingertips.
2.) Mix the Egg Yellow and Water and add to the Flour mixture - mix until a dough has formed - place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
3.) Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) - spray 2 x 12 hole patty pans with Spray 'N Cook.
4.) Roll out the dough and cut into circles, slightly larger than the patty pan holes, fit the rounds into each hole - place a teaspoon full of the Apricot Jam in the center of the cut-out dough.
5.) Beat the Egg whites until just foamy - do not over beat - add the Coconut and the Caster Sugar - mix well.
6.) Use approximately 1 tablespoon full of the Egg/Coconut mixture and spoon over the Apricot Jam - bake for 12 - 15 minutes.

Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool in the pans - transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Keep leftovers (we never have any..) in a sealed container.

Hope you will enjoy the Hertzoggies as much as we do in South-Africa!

Bye-bye now,


Linking up with these cool parties:





16 comments:

  1. These look amazing, Linda :) I had to google "patty pan" and it looks similar to our muffin pans with rounded bottoms. I need to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delicious I'm pinning them yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - found you through 33 Shades of Green. Pinned this recipe for Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  4. I linked next to you on Petals to Picots, when I saw the title I hoped I would hit a S.A. site, but a "Vaalie" Site, how cool! How nice to visit your blog :)
    x
    Natalie (A Fellow ex-Vaalie :))
    www.marigoldsloft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of these, but they look delicious and the filling possibilities are endless with so many flavors of jam! Yummmm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These make me want to get a little taste of SA myself! I especially love the coconut topping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, I have never had this cookie but I can't wait to try it. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so good! I will have to try these for sure! I've never tried making cookies with jam inside of them, sounds like a challenge! Thanks for linking this up at Meatless Monday recipe hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Linda,
    These cookies look amazing. Thanks for sharing them at Adorned From Above's Link Party.
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look soo good. Thanks for sharing. Love apricot (trying to imagine the coconut combination). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda, these look yummy! Thanks for the recipe! Thanks for joining the party at Keep Calm and Link Up! Come back again this Thursday night!
    Barbara at Chase the Star
    chasethestar dot net

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look so good! Loved and pinned. Thanks for sharing at MightyCrafty Mondays...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello I just wanted to let you know that your recipe is featured on this weeks Manic Monday http://bobbiskozykitchen.blogspot.com/2012/11/manic-monday-party-17.html
    I hope you will share again!!

    ReplyDelete