Sunday, October 28, 2012

Necklaces from This & That !


Have a look at what I have been playing with !   Necklaces, no less ... New York, Milan ... here I come {whink}.

Just joking.. but as soon as I received my new Ideas {gift idea edition} Magazine, I wanted to start making stuff!  There are so many brilliant ideas of, well, just about anything, to make yourself, I had a hard time deciding which I wanted to try first.

Let's see - I have a lot of ribbon/lace - Beads: these I started buying at the beginning of last year already and have not done much with it yet - Chain: this falls in with ribbon and lace, so I had that - Buttons: have some lying around in my craft box.  Decision made - I am making NECKLACES !!!

I did not have Embroidery thread and a few small thing, such as little clasps - these I bought and was all set. Once I started playing around with this Necklace making stuff, I enjoyed it so much that I spend most of the day on it.

This is a first for me, so please excuse my own made-up names for certain things - but at least you have pictures {follows} of whatever I used....

A close-up of no: 1



I used 2 VERY different types of ribbon here - white and lace - ivory and flowers


Here I twisted the two ribbons and made a knot every 10 or so centimeters


To finish : I used a needle and cotton thread and simply sewed the ends to the ribbon - then I cut the chain right in the middle and added a small connector ring to each of the open ends - on one of these rings I added a clasp {now the clasp can be fixed onto the ring on the other end of the chain}


See the above photo - one end of the chain ending WITH a clasp {and the other end with only a ring - not on photo}

A close-up of no: 2




Now, this is where I totally had no idea on how to arrange the beads and those shiny silver rings ! Well, this is the end result - I will practice {really starting to like this kind of thing!}


With this one I have used 2 of the same type of ribbon (although I think you call this something like edging..}, in two colors - white and a light golden yellow.  I used a large needle and some thread to "pull" the ribbon through the marble beads - 2 round and 2 oval 

With the white ribbon I pulled through the two oval beads with a silver ring in the center - I did the same with the yellow ribbon but used the round beads with a silver ring in the center.

I have cut the yellow ribbon slightly shorter than the white, in order for it to hang a little higher than the white.

After that, I placed the two ribbons together and added {both ribbons at the same time} a silver ring at each end - sort of to "close" the beading area.

I twisted the two colored ribbons, giving a stitch with needle and cotton thread here and there to keep it in place, ending with sewing the two end pieces together.

A close-up of no: 3






For this one I used 2 strings of embroidery thread, chain, large button, 2 small connector rings and a clasp. I am glad I bought the embroidery thread packed like this and not on a roll as I used them as is - took the chain and first threaded through the button then one side of the thread as in the photo - I used the other side of the chain and threaded through the same piece of embroidery thread on the other side.  To tie the "necks" I used a small piece of the same color thread and twisted and knotted them. Then I folded the embroidery together to find the center, cut through and .. voila - I had little tassles!

Repeat with the second color embroidery thread.

To end - I used the same technique as in no 1 - a small connector ring to each end of the chain with a clasp onto one of these rings.

That's it !   I enjoyed this so much, I think I will play around a little more - seeing as I have so many types of ribbon (oh, and leather cord!) beads and all the rest of it ...

Ciao for now!


Linking up with these cool parties:











20 comments:

  1. They look great. Some cool ideas there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job, Linda! I like how you combined different elements and textures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely!!! Love laces! Thanks so much for sharing the great tutorial! I'd love for you to visit my blog.
    Happy week!

    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, especially the daisy lace & tassels/button!
    Very clever!
    -Bess-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are great! I love that you used up some things you had laying around. :-) Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is SOOO awesome! My daughter is going to *LOVE* this idea! Thanks for linking up to PIN MEme! I've pinned & tweeted this!

    Diana
    Diana Rambles
    Bento Blog Network
    Link Rink

    ReplyDelete
  7. too fun, thanks for some great ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! you have my mind thinking junk drawer clear out and make necklaces!
    Homa Style is having a Simple Holiday Gift Idea Link Party. Your necklaces would be perfect as a holiday gift idea. {and help clear out those drawers}
    Please join the link party at Homa Style.
    Here’s the link
    http://homastyle.com/wp/2012/10/31/simple-holiday-gift-ideas/
    Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so pretty - thanks for linking up at Doodles & Stitches :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great ideas! Love the lace with the beads:) Oh yes, you are ready for Milan!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They turned out great! I think the one on the left is my favorite ; 0
    Steph
    swtboutique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty! I love them all. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job! I love that you used materials that most wouldn't think to use for necklaces. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love these - so unique and pretty. Pinned and loved. Thank you for sharing at MightyCrafty Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are gorgeous and it looks like it would be fun to mix it up and make new designs! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So fun! You are so creative!!
    Thanks for sharing at Artsy Corner!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would like to see how they look on. With the lightweight necklaces that really matters, I have come to realize, as I do have made quite a few of them. There needs to be 'just' the right weight for them to hang properly. I wonder how you have achieved that here...

    Anyhow, the laces look beautiful. Thank you for sharing it on our blog at the Wednesday linky party!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now this is true creativity! I love these ideas!
    I am visiting from Skip to my Lou, and I have been looking through all your projects. You have some great, great stuff here! I would love it if you'd come over and link up some of your OLDER posts (that's right, Older). I host and oldie's link party, where we strive to give a little more exposure to those old, awesome posts that we were writing when only our moms and husbands were reading our blogs (or was that just me?!?)
    So, consider stopping by!
    http://www.dosmallthingswithlove.com/2013/02/and-oldie-but-goodie-link-party-5-and.html
    nancy

    ReplyDelete