Sunday, October 28, 2012

Steak, Bacon & Beer Pies




I remember when I was still in primary school there was a pie called something like "JACK's" or "UNCLE JACK's" which were sold at the school. Those were delicious, but I haven't seen them for years now.

Every now and then, no one feels like cooking in the house or we had enough of the usual take-aways.  Mostly, we would then get meat pies from the supermarket, but their standard has really dropped - the sausage rolls are still okay, but all the others... huh uh, no idea what the ingredients are and if you are lucky enough to find a small piece of meat, you're not sure what it is - even if it says ".. Steak & Onion..".

I decided to give it a try and see how it goes.  We were pleasantly surprised how delicious this was!

Next time I want to add a little more vegetables and see if I can create my own Cornish Pie, which used to be my favorite when they still made a decent version.

Steak, Bacon & Beer Pies

(this recipe made 6 medium sized pies - you can easily double it)

2 t Oil
250g Streaky Bacon, chopped
1 Large Onion, chopped finely
750g Tenderised Steak, cubed  (or any other stewing beef)
150ml Beef Stock
150ml Beer
1/2 t Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1/2 t Dried Thyme
1 t Celery Salt
3 TB Cornflour

1 Roll Frozen Puff Pastry, defrosted
1 Egg, beaten

1.) Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) - line a baking sheet with baking paper **you can also do this step whilst waiting for the filling to cool down - which takes about 15 minutes**
2.) Fry the Bacon and Onion in the Oil until the Onion is soft - add the Steak and stir-fry for 2 - 3 minutes.
3.) Add the Beef Stock, Beer, Black Pepper, Dried Thyme and the Celery Salt - stir to mix and simmer, covered,  over low heat for 60 - 90 minutes or until the Steak is soft to your liking.
4.) Mix the Cornflour with a little water and add to the pot - simmer another 5 - 10 minutes, stirring until the sauce has thickened.
5.) Remove from heat and leave to cool - 15 - 20 minutes.
6.) Roll out the Puff Pastry and roll a bit thinner - cut six rectangles - add meat to one half per rectangle, leaving an edge to seal the pastry - fold over the other half and seal by using a fork {press down with the teeth} on all three open sides - place on the baking sheet, brush with the beaten Egg and bake 15 - 20 minutes until puffed and golden brown.


Remove from the oven and serve immediately.

Hope you will enjoy!

Later,


Linking up with these cool parties:


24 comments:

  1. This looks amazing Linda. I must try this when I get home.
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, my mouth is watering and I'm not even hungry. I can't wait to try these!
    Hopping by from Crafty Confessions

    TracyAnn from www.crochethappy.com and http://asktracyann.crochethappy.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious. Do you know if you can freeze them one they are all put together? Thanks for sharing on Tout It Tuesday! Hope to see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yumminess! What wonderful flavours. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband would love this! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, those look great!
    -Melanie

    P.S. I'm hosting a $50 Shabby Apple Giveaway on my blog, you should come check it out!
    http://meandmr.com/post/35113285949/shabby-apple-50-giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a notion my husband would LOVE these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds so good! Another great recipe to try. Pinned and loved. Thank you for sharing at MightyCrafty Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda,
    Thanks for sharing with Adorned From Above.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look awesome! I am def trying, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!! I want one NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    You've been pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum... this recipe looks amazing. I am def putting it on my food menu for the next week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great pie, this looks like it would be full of flavor. Have a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  14. These sound delicious and would be great to serve here in the states while watching football on TV!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All I have to say is my husband would LOVE you!
    Steph
    swtboutqiue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks delicious Linda! Thank you for linking up with the Clever Chicks this week!

    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks mouthwatering!
    As a Bavarian I love the fact that beer is a ingredient here :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing with Thursdays Treasures. I have a soft spot in my heart for meat pies. These sound delish.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmm, those sound great! Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for linking up! Hope to see some of your great ideas again this week on 'Or so she says ...' www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. What’s not to love about your recipe? It has steak, bacon, and well, beer! I bet anyone would enjoy eating your dish! It’s really great that you tried to cook your own version of the meat pie. Efforts like these are what breed new ideas. The recipes are so simple and the cooking seems easy to do. I think no one would have a problem preparing it. Just hope that mine would also taste as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my gosh! I can't wait to try this! PINNED IT~

    From TracyAnn of www.crochethappy.com and http://asktracyann.crochethappy.com

    ReplyDelete