Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Beef Chow Mein & Sour Sauce



I can not seem to find any dinner-time motivation this week.... I blame it all on this heat we are having at the moment.  

If I had my way, we would eat cold meats and salads all Spring and Summer, but somehow, I do not think the rest of the family would feel that way!

It is at times like these, when my brain cells are too fried to think that I look up Ms Annette Human's recipes.. told you I am a cookbook freak and she is one of my favorite authors.{I think I mentioned this about a 100 times before ...}

This recipe comes from the cookbook - SPYSKAARTE VIR ELKE SEISOEN.  I have made it before, but without the sour sauce, this time I made the sauce and boy!..  did that make a difference!!

Beef Chow Mein & Sour Sauce

{make the sauce first - it should be served cold or only just warm}

SOUR SAUCE:

1 cup Water
1 Egg
4 TB Sugar
1/2 t Salt
4 TB Corn Flour
1/2 cup White Vinegar
1/2 cup Mayonnaise

1.) Whisk together the Water, Egg, Sugar and Salt - pour into a small pot over low heat.
2.) Mix the Corn Flour and the Vinegar - add to the Water mixture - bring to the boil, stirring continuously until thick - remove from heat and add the Mayonnaise, stir to combine, leave to cool.

BEEF CHOW MEIN

3 TB Soya Sauce
1 TB Worcestershire Sauce
1 TB Soft Brown Sugar
1/4 t Ground Ginger

750g Beef, cut into thin strips
Oil, to fry
3 Onions, sliced into rings
3 Carrots, cut into julienne strips
3 cups Cabbage, sliced thinly
1 can (410g) Green Beans, French cut
1 t Salt
1/2 t Freshly Ground Black Pepper

500g Spaghettini, cooked according to the instructions on the bag.

1.) Combine the Soya Sauce, Worcestershire Sauce, Brown Sugar and Ginger - place the Beef strips into a marinating container and pour the Soya Sauce mixture over - marinate for at least 1 hour.
2.) Heat a little Oil in a wok or large pan - stir-fry the meat in batches until done - remove from pan and keep aside - add the Onions to the pan and saute until soft - remove from pan and add to the beef which is being kept aside.
3.) Add more Oil if necessary and stir-fry the Carrots for 2 -3 minutes - add the Cabbage, stir-fry until soft.
4.) Drain the Green Beans and add to the pan together with the meat and Onions - heat through.
5.) Season with Salt & Black Pepper.

Serve on a bed of Spaghettini with the Sour Sauce on the side.

Hope you enjoy!

Later,


Linking up with these cool parties:





4 comments:

  1. We just love Beef Chow Mein and would love to try your Sour Sauce. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the summer, I prefer salad and sandwiches .... and when it's really hot, I'd rather not eat at all. This sounds like a great meal - and I love that it's quick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, love the glaze for the beef and the sauce. Thanks for sharing on Thursdays Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! That looks really good! Have a great day-Tiffany

    ReplyDelete