Sunday, November 18, 2012

Dainty Butterfly Bath Fizzies



A week or two ago, I made some Fizzy Bath Bombs, which surprisingly worked out 100% the first time.  

I thought I will make some more today, using a different mold... Butterflies!  They turned our really cute, despite for my ongoing wannabe-Picasso efforts.

I used a Butterfly mold which is normally used for chocolate making, and found mine at our local baking supply store. Some craft stores also carry these types of molds.

You can use any mold you like, large and deep or small and shallow.  Most important to remember - do not let the mixture get too wet, even a drop or two too much water makes a difference {then it will only fizzzz away!}. I used the same recipe which I used for the Cupcake and Cellphone shapes, but was a little worried as these are so thin - they turned out to be about 5mm thick.

For some reason, though, this time the mixture did end up more moist than the previous batch {it could be the heat we are having..}, but, anyhow, I added more Corn Starch and Citric Acid until it felt like, only just wet sand again - and it was perfect afterwards... still fizzy.

I am not going to send you backwards and forwards for the recipe, but if you would like to have a look at the Cupcake and Cellphone shapes click HERE otherwise follow the recipe below:

1 cup Baking Soda
1/2 cup Citric Acid Crystals
1/2 cup Corn Starch
1/2 t Water {plus a little extra}
2 TB Almond Oil {you can use sunflower oil as well}
Few drops Essential Oil - quantity and scent to your liking {keep in mind this stuff is strong}
Few drops Food Coloring - again, your choice
1 t Borax

-  Mix the Baking Soda, Citric Acid and Corn Starch in a medium bowl.
- In a separate, small, bowl, mix the Water, Almond Oil, Essential Oil and Food Coloring* until combined - add the Borax and stir through.
- Add the Oil mixture in a thin stream, whilst stirring all the time, to the Baking Soda mixture.
- Use your hands to really get it all mixed up, it should feel like wet sand and able to hold together - if not, add a drop or two Water to the mixture - not more than a drop at a time, it will make it fizz away if you use too much at once.
- The mixture is now ready to be packed TIGHTLY into your mold - make sure to press it into all corners etc.
- Leave to harden at least 12 hours or overnight, do not remove it too soon - it WILL crumble away, wait, and you will have rock hard bombs.

- Decorate as you wish : I used Food Coloring Markers to decorate the Butterflies - see below:


Hope you enjoy making your own Bath Fizzies  !!

Later,


Linking up with these cool parties:






6 comments:

  1. At first I thought, What a cute Christmas stocking stuffer. Which was immediately followed by: I don't want to share them! LOVE soaking in the tub. What a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! I am pinning them now. Glad I saw these at Claiming Our Space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what fun! I love bath fizzes! Those turned out great! Thanks so much for linking up to the Keep Calm and Link Up! Hope to see you back next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! I made bath fizzies for my mom for Mother's Day this year and I used a cute little octopus mold; they turned out fun too! Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect idea for the chocolate molds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a creative gift idea! I love these. Loved and pinned. Thank you for sharing at MightyCrafty Mondays!

    ReplyDelete