Sunday, November 18, 2012

Texture & Glitter Tree Ornaments



This is a great craft which kids will enjoy as much as adults.  Craft Texture is almost the same as Plaster of Paris, apply, leave a while and it will go rock hard, in the way you have sculpted it of course.

If you have never heard of it before, Texture looks like something between clay and stiff whipped cream .. that is the best way I can describe it. It is available at craft stores and is ready mixed (mine has already lasted two years, as long as it is kept in a sealed container).  I have used it before on candles and other mixed media crafts.


You need the following:

1.) Craft Paints - I used Metallic Gold and Silver and Standard Red
     Small Stencils
     Craft Texture - use small kebab sticks and ice-cream sticks
2.) Carton Shapes - the thicker, the better as the Texture become heavy on ordinary paper

Apply the Texture:

3.) I made little dots on the tree
4.) On the star, I traced the shape of a small tree, applied texture both there and on the edges of the star

Once the Texture dries:

I painted the tree's little dots using the silver, gold and red and lightly dusted over silver glitter while it was still wet.

The small tree as well as the edges of the star, I painted silver.


I used a glitter glue-pen and added a little extra bling (a fairly thick stream) to both the star's edges and the little tree.  The "streamers" on the tree was also done using the glue-pen.


Lastly I punched a hole into the bottom of the star and added some {plastic*} pearls and beads threaded with some beading wire. {plastic* - so as not to weigh down the ornament too much}

***The above picture shows the best result I could get with my camera, by using Texture, Paint and Glue-Glitter***


Punch a hole into the tops of the ornaments, add ribbon or string and hang ! {Preferably on a tree, but we do not have one yet...}

Bye-bye now,


Linking up with these cool parties:






4 comments:

  1. These are so pretty Linda...but I'm not a glitter fan as you know!! So tell me..do the glitter glue pens make less of a mess? Does theh glitter stay and not sprinkle everywhere? Maybe you can turn me into a glitter girl yet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely want to try this! Thanks for the inspiration

    Thank you for partying with the Wildly Original Crowd. <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these! So pretty. Loved and pinned. Thank you for sharing at MightyCrafty Mondays!

    ReplyDelete