Saturday, December 29, 2012

Chicken in Pastry


Puff pastry ... what a great invention!  No, I am not talking about homemade, that would drive me crazy. I am talking about the ready-made and rolled, store bought frozen rolls.  There are always a couple of rolls in my freezer, but the past few weeks there was a shortage of the specific brand I use and my supply ran out.

Unbelievable that being without a roll or two of Puff pastry, could make me feel as if  we had a huge pantry/freezer crisis. Fortunately, it seems the brand I like, is back and it's already flying off the shelves in the stores.

But, let me tell you about today's recipe - I wanted something in a Puff pastry... okay, I think we got to that point ... I was thinking of chicken inside, but not a chicken pie, so I went through my stock {which is very low by now after all the holiday cooking and baking thus far}, and I came up with the following recipe - delicious and good enough to share with you:

Chicken in Pastry

(6 portions)

Avocado Oil {any other Oil will do}
6 Chicken Fillets, flattened to about 1 1/4 cm thick (1/2 inch)
Salt & Pepper, to taste
1 Large Red Bell Pepper, sliced
6 Large Spinach Leaves {or 12 small}
6 slices of Provolone cheese
6 TB Cream Cheese, smooth - sweet chilli flavored
1 Roll frozen Puff Pastry, defrosted
1 Egg, lightly beaten

1.) Pre-heat the oven to 200 deg C (400 deg F) - line a baking sheet with baking paper.
2.) Heat the Avocado Oil in a medium pan - season the Chicken with Salt & Pepper and cook until done - remove and keep aside - add the Red Bell Pepper and saute until soft - remove from pan and keep aside.
3.) Add the Spinach leaves to the same pan and saute until just starting to soften {it must not wilt} - remove from pan and keep aside.
4.) Roll the Puff pastry a little thinner and cut into 6 rectangular pieces.
5.) Place a Spinach leaf on one half of each pastry piece - top with a Chicken fillet - followed by the Red Bell Pepper and the Provolone cheese.
6.) Spread a tablespoonful of Cream Cheese on the other half of the pastry - fold this piece over the side with the Chicken, pinching close all the open edges  - brush with the beaten Egg and place on the prepared baking sheet.
7.) Bake 25 - 30 minutes until golden and puffed.

Remove from oven and serve immediately.

Hope you enjoy this dish as much as we did.

Ciao for now,


Linking up with these cool parties:





4 comments:

  1. Linda, I just love this dish, it is just perfect for a cold winters night. Hope you are having a great weekend and thanks for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious - making me very hungry. Thanks for sharing on Thursdays Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursdays, Linda. I will be featuring this delicious recipe this week. Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Featuring this post on my FB page today...Enjoy!! https://www.facebook.com/TheMandatoryMooch

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete