Friday, December 28, 2012

Italian Zeppole



I have never heard of Zeppole before I made this delightful, almost donut like, sweet treat. Will I make it again..?  Most definitely !  The kids weren't here and I would love to make these as it is exactly the type of treat they like.

A few days ago I bought some Ricotta cheese for something else I had in mind, but Murphy's Law played a trick on me again, the Blueberries were off just as I wanted to use them.  I will eat Ricotta as is, but I really wanted to try a new, sweet, recipe.

When I found this recipe, the name sounded a little familiar, but I couldn't place it. End of search - I made the Zeppole and I strongly recommend it to anyone who have never tasted this before.

I found the recipe on Allrecipes and it was submitted by ARVILLALAR.

Italian Zeppole

{recipe enough for 20 - 25}

Oil, for deep fry

1 cup Flour
2 t Baking Powder
Pinch Salt
1 1/2 t Sugar
2 Eggs, beaten
1 cup Ricotta cheese {mash it up with a fork}
1/2 t Vanilla Essence

1/2 cup Icing Sugar, for dusting

1.) Heat Oil in a deep-fryer.
2.) Place the Flour, Baking Powder, Salt and Sugar in a medium pan and stir to mix - add the Eggs, Ricotta and Vanilla to the pan - mix gently over low heat until combined - batter will be sticky.
3.) Remove from heat and {it is recommended to use a spoon but I used my hands} take spoonfuls of batter, about 2 1/2 centimeters (one inch) in diameter and place into the hot Oil - cook until golden, using a slotted spoon, transfer them onto a paper towel and immediately roll/dust in Icing Sugar.  Repeat until all the batter is finished.

Serve warm.

Be warned:  these little donut-like cookies are addictive !


Later,


Linking up with these cool parties:


11 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I found you at the Pin Me Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of these but they sound YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandmother used to make these all the time - they are perfect after school treats! Thanks for sharing the recipe..

    Marissa
    http://forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vanilla essence..is that similar to vanilla extract? Thanks for sharing on foodie friday

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Italian grandmothers both made these. They are also very popular at Italian festivals. So glad you shared this on foodie friday. Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound soooo good! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are wonderful, but even better with a chocolate dipping sauce on the side..

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look perfect! Thanks for sharing at One Creative Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you are having a great weekend and thanks for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. The ricotta must make these so moist and delicious! Yum! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete