Monday, December 31, 2012

ULTIMATE Breakfast Sandwich



This is truly THE Ultimate breakfast sandwich. Strangely enough, I think it is the way the tomatoes are prepared which brings out the flavor of every other ingredient.

Again, this started out by me following a recipe...might I add here, "for a healthy sandwich" .. but then once again I started fiddling around !  Not so sure whether it is all that healthy as the recipe intended it to be, but in my own defense - I used brown bread, although not wholewheat low-G.I. and it has Spinach, ,,,healthy enough, I think!

We also did not have it as a breakfast, but as a late lunch/early dinner kind of thing. Some restaurants offer breakfast all day, and some all night long, therefore I take it there are other people liking breakfast any time of the day.  

Enough blabber. Here is my version:

ULTIMATE Breakfast Sandwich

{enough for 4 huge sandwiches}

4 Extra-Large Eggs, boiled 5 minutes, sliced   {I forgot about mine and it overcooked, 
                                                                                             but was still nice}
3 - 4 Large Tomatoes, sliced thick
1 t Sugar
1 1/2 t Garlic, crushed
1 1/2 t Dried Oregano
2 TB Olive Oil
Salt & freshly ground Black Pepper
250g Bacon
8 Large or 16 Small Spinach leaves, rinsed and large veins removed
4 slices Gouda cheese
8 slices Brown Bread, toasted

1.) Pre-heat the oven to 200 deg C (400 deg F) - line a baking sheet with baking paper.
2.) Place the Tomato slices on the prepared baking sheet - sprinkle a little Sugar over each slice, followed by the Garlic and Oregano - drizzle with Olive Oil - bake 15 - 20 minutes until the Tomatoes start to caramelize.
3.) Meanwhile, cook the Bacon in a medium pan until crispy {or to your preference} - remove from pan and keep aside.
4.) Using the same pan - saute the Spinach leaves for only a few seconds - the leaves must only just start to soften - remove from heat.
5.) Start building your sandwich - slice of toast, cheese, bacon, egg, tomato, spinach and top off with another slice of toast.

Hope you enjoy !


Linking up with these cool parties:





1 comment:

  1. I'm not a breakfast person, but I could definitely eat this for dinner! Btw, I think the caramelized tomato would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete