Thursday, January 31, 2013

Chocolate Chip Bran Muffins


Muffins have always been a favorite of mine. I like baking them and there are no funny piping/icing decorations involved.  Well, I suppose there could be, depending on the baker's taste!

I felt like making a sweet treat but which were kind of on the healthier side as well, ...add bran !  Usually the Bran Muffins which you buy at the stores are dry and taste like cardboard, so I have come up with this recipe. 

I kept a few of these muffins in a sealed container, at room temperature, and it was even more delicious the next day.

Of course I had to put a spin of Valentine's Day on it - but it is only the sprinkles and edible glitter.

Chocolate Chip Bran Muffins

{makes 12 Muffins}

1/2 cup Oil {Canola is a good choice}
1 Extra-Large Egg
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 cup Self-Raising Flour
1 TB Bicarbonate of Soda
Pinch of Salt
1 cup Bran
200g Plain Yoghurt
1/2 cup Chocolate Chips

1 cup Icing Sugar
4 t Water
1/2 cup Dark Chocolate
Sprinkles/Glitter, to decorate {optional}

1.) Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) - Spray a 12 hole muffin pan with Spray 'N Cook {line the holes if you wish to}
2.) Beat together the Oil, Egg and Brown Sugar until well combined.
3.) Add the Self-Raising Flour, Bicarbonate of Soda and Salt - stir through.
4.) Stir in the Bran followed by the Yoghurt - stir until just combined {do not over-mix} - lastly stir in the Chocolate Chips.
5.) Scoop the mixture into the muffin pan - bake 15 - 20 minutes.
6.) Prepare the Chocolate Topping 3 - 5 minutes before the muffins have finished baking - Mix the Icing Sugar with the Water and stir until smooth - melt the Dark Chocolate - immediately stir in the Icing Sugar mixture to the melted hot Dark Chocolate.
7.) Remove the muffins from the oven and immediately pour the Topping over.

The Topping sets quite quickly... if you want to add decorations, do that immediately.

Store any leftovers at room temperature in a sealed container.


Hope you enjoy !


Linking up with these cool parties:




3 comments:

  1. HUbs needs more fibre, I would not tell him they were bran muffins, he woulldn't even try them, I'd just say choc chip - btw I am currently doing one of your projects, I hope you like it when you see it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these looks delicious! I hope you stop by to link to my party- http://atozebracelebrations.com/2013/01/link-party-5.html
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to make more muffins ..... they'd be a great breakfast or snack! Thank you for sharing at last week's week's All My Bloggy Friends :)

    ReplyDelete