Saturday, January 26, 2013

Loaded Cowboy Food


This is a large dish, my ordinary pans were too small and I used my electric wok, which is a nice size for this loaded and very filling recipe.

It was also an extremely difficult dish to take photos of, fortunately I took some pics while it was still in the wok, as the ones I took dished up in a plate, looked very messy.

But, all that aside, this is so filling, it only needed a dinner roll or two served with it. {Although I had a salad on the side as well}

I found this recipe in the cookbook One-Two-Three On The Table and made a few small changes.

Loaded Cowboy Food

{6 large servings}

2 TB Avocado Oil
1 Onion, finely chopped
1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
3 t Garlic, crushed
1 Red Chilli, finely chopped    {you can add more if you like}
1/2 cup Carrots, grated finely
250g Bacon Bits
500g Lean Ground Beef {Mince}
Salt & Freshly ground Black Pepper
1/4 cup Coriander leaves, chopped
1 tin (60g) Tomato Paste
1 tin (410g) Chopped Tomatoes
1 TB Sugar
2 TB Chutney
1 TB Worcestershire Sauce
1 tin (410g) Beans in Tomato Sauce
1 tin (410g) Corn Kernels  {not the creamy Sweetcorn}
6 Extra-Large Eggs
1 cup Cheddar, grated

1.) Heat the Oil in a large pan and saute the Onion, Green Bell Pepper, Garlic, Red Chilli and Carrots until just soft - add the Bacon and stir-fry until the Bacon is cooked.
2.) Add the Ground Beef {Mince} to the pan, season with Salt & Black Pepper to taste, and cook over medium heat {stir regularly} until the meat is cooked through.
3.) Stir in the Coriander leaves, Tomato Paste, Chopped Tomatoes, Sugar, Chutney and Worcestershire Sauce - simmer 15 - 20 minutes.
4.) Add the Beans in Tomato Sauce and the Corn Kernels -- bring back to the boil.
5.) Make 6 hollows in the meat and break an Egg into each hollow - add a little Salt & Black Pepper to the top of the Eggs.
6.) Cook until the Eggs are done to your liking - sprinkle the Cheddar Cheese over.

Serve immediately - Enjoy!


Linking up with these cool parties:



6 comments:

  1. That is one "loaded" recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to go read my Reader - I'm sure there are all kinds of things I haven't gotten to read yet - like this!

    This sounds like it would be really easy to put together! And I agree with Jeanne - it really is loaded!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so wonderful. Easy and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this! I pinned it to my Super Bowl Party Board, and I'm featuring the board on my blog today, too :)
    BTW, I'm stopping by Freedom Fridays!
    Ang
    jugglingactmama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is Cowboy food indeed. Your recipe is awesome and thank you so much for sharing it with Full Plate Thursday.
    Have a great weekend and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is a Readers Top 10 Pick for this week on Full Plate Thursday. Enjoy your new Red Plate and have a great weekend.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete