Friday, January 25, 2013

Quick Homemade Marshmallow


This is actually a recipe I make as a topping to cupcakes see HERE and for sweet treats, see HERE. I always have a little left over and came up with this idea.

Make your cupcakes/sweet treats and use this recipe as a topping, or make a batch and do the following:

Quick Homemade Marshmallow

{Quantity below will be enough for 6 HIGH toppings or at least 40 small marshmallows as in the pic above}

1/4 cup Cold Water
1 TB Powdered Gelatin, Plain
1/4 cup Boiling Water
1/2 t Caramel Essence {you can use any flavor you like}
1 cup Caster Sugar
Few drops Food Coloring - optional
Sprinkles/Sugar Sprinkles/Chocolate - whatever you like to decorate - optional
Icing Sugar, optional **

1.) Place the Cold Water in a medium mixing bowl - sprinkle the Gelatin over - wait until it gets spongy - microwave on HIGH for 20 seconds until clear and dissolved.
2.) Add the Boiling Water and Essence of your choice and mix {if using coloring - add this now and keep mixing}.
3.) Whilst beating, add the Caster Sugar gradually, beat until a thick meringue consistency has formed {5 - 8 minutes} - as soon as stiff peaks form and it gets sticky it is ready.
4.) Scoop mixture into a piping bag and use as you wish - the shape will stay the way you pipe it.

Sprinkle any decorations over as soon as possible, especially in very cold weather, as the outside of the marshmallow dries fairly quickly.
Chill at least two hours.
**If making shapes only - make sure to pipe the marshmallow out on a well powdered {Icing Sugar} piece of aluminium foil - makes lifting easier and "seals" the bottom at the same time.


Have fun and remember the shapes, colors and flavors are endless !

Later,


Linking up with these cool parties:





13 comments:

  1. So cool - my kids would love to help make and decorate these :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I actually make marshmallow, my ds eat it before I can put some aside, caramel sound good though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well how fun is that? They are lovely. Thanks so much for sharing at Weekend Potluck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are so cute! I love the idea! You can use these to top any type of dessert! I just started a new link party and would love for you to come over and share your post or any social media sites. http://designeddecor.com/talkin-about-thursday-link-party4/
    DeDe@DesignedDecor

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love homemade marshmallows! I love how you piped them out instead of the standard square. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always wanted to try my hand at making marshmallows! Thanks so much for sharing this on Manic Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How delicious looking! I can just imagine the different shapes I could make.

    I'd love for you to share this at Tuesday's Table - http://zentmrs.blogspot.com/2013/01/tuesdays-table-superbowl-edition.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's neat, I didn't even know it could be done! Visiting today from the Adorned from Above hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seems simple enough - thank you for sharing. We found you via Serenity You - Serenity Saturday

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always wanted to try my hand at homemade marshmallows, but they seemed like to much work. This recipe sounds easy and perfect for me! I'd love it if you would share these at my Saturday Spotlight linky party. :) http://angelshomestead.com/saturday-spotlight-2-features/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love homemade marshmallows. Your recipe is awesome and thank you so much for sharing it with Full Plate Thursday.
    Have a great weekend and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cant get over how easy and doable these are. They would look so cute on top of a mug of hot cocoa. Thank you so much for sharing with Saturday Spotlight. Have a great week and come back soon!

    ReplyDelete