Saturday, February 23, 2013

Blanket Box/Bench


Some of you might remember we started with a make over on our beach themed master bedroom last year. Well, unfortunately, we had to put that on hold, soooo the room is still only half done.

But, I most certainly can carry on with the smaller things for now, especially when I have everything available {besides the 250ml paint, which only cost us R26.00 - +/- $3.00}  Not bad, I think!  Right, I have lots of pictures, so let's start and I will only mention important stuff ...

{Keep in mind, this is my first paint project which I tried in my own way, so please be gentle ;-)   } Just joking, I am a big girl, I can handle everything !



An old toy box which we painted white some time ago {we have always kept this at our bed's foot end and used as a blanket box, after the kids were done using it as an actual toy box}  +  a very old wooden gate which I rescued when Dimitri and Jacobus were on their way to the dump on an errand for Jacobus' Mom  =  my new blanket box which also serves as a bench {Roy always sits on the toy box, when he removes his shoes, and that gave me the idea of a bench}

 

A closer look at the handles {both sides} and the key hole thingy on the front




Roy removed the old hinge on the gate, cleaned and sanded it a bit. You can see here that this wood is really old and weathered, but still unbelievably strong.


1.) We attached a "spacer piece" to the box
2.) Then the gate was fixed to the spacer pieces with long woodscrews
3.) Here you can see where we cut the wood on the "seat" {see lower down as well}, to allow for the seat to be lifted up and also to fix the armrests to


1.) The spacer piece - to allow the 2.) seat to flip open


All the X's show where we placed spacers and fixed the gate to


This is the side of the top piece {seat} which we cut, on both sides, to allow the center piece of the seat to be lifted up and also to serve as a base for the armrests


X = the cut in the seat as explained above {there was a weak spot and the wood splintered horizontically, but that was an easy fix}
The arrow shows where the armrest's "pillar" was attached, using a long woodscrew from the inside of the box 


Bottom arrow is explained in the previous photo
Top arrow - we've cut an armrest to fit as shown above, using countersunk screws


More countersunk screws to the side


The small bottle of paint we had mixed {PLASCON, Double Velvet - color = Twin Crystal}
A Coarse handheld sander
The sponge which I made some cuts into {to give an uneven coat}


The one side's armrest is fixed as well as the gate which is now called the back! Starting to look like something ...


I opted out of painting the armrests and back ... Roy used his spray-gun and by doing it this way, it has cut the labor time by, I would guess 80% at least. {the vertical pieces at the back are triangular}


After I applied the "Twin Crystal" color - more or less all to one way, but uneven


Bottom piece has already been sanded once or twice
Top piece - no sanding had been done at this point {see the difference already?}

After that - a lot more sanding to all the sides!! {that should teach me not to go too heavy on the paint next time...}


Obviously, I took all the pics outside as the room is only half done, but this piece is now at the foot end of my bed and it looks great!

There is not too much left to do in the bedroom, but the little which still needs to be done, is also the more expensive areas {the floor - to name one}

I am still thinking about changing the seat area of this box to an upholstered piece, but am thinking that might be too much to fit in with a beach themed room {and also, no one is really going to sit there and chill!}

Let me know what you think!


This post has been entered into the following challenge {click pic for direct link}


Linking up with these cool parties:




41 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness...what a FABULOUS project! I seriously love it. Way to think outside the box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your bench, I saw it at polka dot pretties linky party. Just pinned it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! My Mom has a box similar to this on her porch full of beach towels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazingly creative! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow wow wow that turned out fantastic! Oh I love this o much, great job! Pinned it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great! How creative you are for making it into a bench! Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that turned out beautiful! And to think that you made it too! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Linda, Love this!! Now these are the original DIY projects that make the blogs so helpful. Would love to have you link this to What to do Weekends also. Thanks and see you soon. Linda

    http://www.craftsalamode.com/2013/02/what-to-do-weekends-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this idea! Now I need to find a chest... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic project. I love it and in particular the colours. Thank you so much for linking up with the craft challenge.

    Rosie xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute and unique project! Love all the helpful photos in your tutorial, this is making it easier for anyone who wants to attempt such a lovely piece =)

    Anja @ cocalores.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great! I always love projects that are created using rescued pieces. I would love to attempt something like this if (1) I wasn't afraid that I would completely screw it up and (2) I was allowed to use power tools...LOL! Seriously, this is fantastic. Stopping by from The Dedicated House linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Linda,
    Love this, love the colors too and the pillows.
    xoxo
    Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mille

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Beautiful job on your bench...I never would've guessed it was a toy box in its former life!
    I found you at Not Just a Housewife-Show Me What Ya Got! Thanks for sharing your project!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great project Linda! So useful and pretty...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your bench turned out really cool, Linda! I featured your idea on One Creative Weekend at OneCreativeMommy.com this week. Please stop by and grab a featured button if you’d like. I can’t wait to see what you link up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an amazing bench with such lovely details!! Thanks for sharing the how to's!! I found you at the 36th Avenue. Your blog is delightful, and I'm a new follower. Thanks for stopping by my place when you have a chance. ~ Blessings, Tracey

    http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. You did an amazing job!!! It looks awesome. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent. Have a wonderful weekend!!
    Hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Linda....this is so awesome!! I am just stunned! You had some vision there girl with that old gate!! I have yet to do a furniture piece, but when I do,I'll be thrilled if mine turns out half as good as yours!! Can't wait to see the whole room!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good job! I love it! I hope to see you at Pinworthy Projects this week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is fabulous Linda!!!!!!!!!! You knocked it out of the park for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fantastic makeover!! So clever! Terrific job! :)
    By the way, I just realized that even though I seem to visit your blog regularly I wasn't actually following you yet. I fixed that, now following you via GFC so I'm sure not to miss a post ;)
    Have a good weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This bench looks fabulous. I love how you recycled all the pieces and made something much better.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Linda,
    I love how this turned out! Beautiful job. Thanks for sharing at Transformed Tuesday.
    Hugs,
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh so GORGEOUS!!!! Great transformation!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer!! Can't wait to see what you link up tomorrow evening!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great idea ~ this came out great!
    I found you today thru the Linky Party at Crafty Confessions, where I'm #87. I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful and so innovative,
    Thanks for sharing on Tutorial Thursdays.
    I hope to see you again this week for some more amazing fun :)
    x
    Natalie
    www.marigoldsloft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks so much for linking up to Tasty Thursdays. Terrific project, Linda. So creative. This post will be FEATURED this week. The party goes live tonight. Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey Linda, Just wanted to let you know this will be featured tonight on the blog. Plus we are starting a fun new giveaway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations! This post is featured over at Diana Rambles today and has been pinned in the Featured at Diana Rambles board at Pinterest. Please grab a featured button off my sidebar or via the link under the features. Thanks for sharing this awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That offers a ton of storage. Oh, you did well, again. Thank you so much for sharing it at our linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Super cute bench! Thanks for sharing at The Best Blog Recipes @The Weekend re-Treat!

    Hope you have a great rest of your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you for linking up at Fluster's Creative Muster. Hope to see you next week!

    Robin @ Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you so much for linking up in the Crafty Showcase last week! I'm slow at getting to do all my visit this week! We care that you link up and LOVE LOVE LOVE visiting your blog to see what all you are up to!

    have a super week!
    Susie @Bowdabra
    http://bowdabrablog.com/2013/03/02/crafty-showcase-link-up-anything-fun-in-the-craft-project-linky-3/

    ReplyDelete
  35. Such a WOW factor, I've seen your projects around the internet and have always been truly impressed! Love the transformation and can't wait to see your finished bedroom! Way to recycle & upcycle! Thanks for linking up to Showy Sunday over at www.leroylime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is a fantastic project.
    Would you consider linking this up at Nedesembegenirsin link party? I hope to see you there!

    http://nedesembegenirsin.blogspot.com/2013/03/13-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great project and I love the paint effect! I saw you featured at Silo Hill Farm and told Danni I had a guess as to what you used for the back...I was wrong. But I love what you did here.
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love this!! Congrats on being featured on Much Ado About Monday! We hope oyu come back and party with us again!!

    Karla
    www.huckleberrylove.com

    ReplyDelete