Saturday, June 1, 2013

Traditional Tea Bread

With A Blast: Traditional Tea Bread {quick & easy} #dessert

If you ever need something to serve with tea {or coffee!} or as a dessert, keep this recipe on hand.  It looks quite impressive and is delicious.

At first I thought it might be difficult to make {or rather time consuming}but it was quick and easy. I was so impressed with the recipe, and the fact that everyone loves it, that I make it regularly now.  

To top it all, you should have everything on hand - all pantry ingredients {except maybe milk, because if you are anything like me ... you might have run out of milk and nobody said anything!}

TRADITIONAL TEA BREAD

{8 - 10 servings}

2 1/2 cups Self-Raising Flour
1/4 t Cinnamon
60g Butter, cubed
2 - 3 TB Raisins or Sultanas
1 TB Caster Sugar
1 Extra-Large Egg, beaten
1/2 cup Milk

1 cup Icing Sugar
15g Butter
1 TB Hot Water
1/4 t Vanilla
Glace Cherries & Mixed Peel, to decorate {optional}

1.) Pre-heat oven to 200 deg C (400 deg F) - line a baking sheet with baking paper.
2.) Sift the Flour & Cinnamon together - rub the Butter in with your fingertips - add the Raisins/Sultanas and Sugar - stir to mix.
3.) Combine Egg and Milk - make a well in the center of the Flour mixture and add the Milk/Egg - mix until it forms a soft dough.
4.) Lightly knead on a floured surface - form into a half-circle and using kitchen scissors or a sharp knife, make cuts at 2 centimeter {just under 1 inch} intervals around the curved edge - leave about 2 centimeters uncut from the flat side - bake for 20 minutes until light brown and sounds hollow when tapped - remove and cool on a wire rack.
5.) Icing: Combine the Icing Sugar, Butter, Hot Water and Vanilla in a medium bowl - beat until smooth - drizzle over the bread.

Decorate with Glace Cherries and Mixed Peel, if using.

Serve as is or with Butter.

Hope you enjoy !

With A Blast

Linking up with these cool parties - also see my complete Party List:




21 comments:

  1. This looks Delicious and I am certainly pinning it! Thanks for permission! Not sure why people wouldn't want their creations pinned...I am sure many will come on over to check out the recipe! It's just beautiful!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to make this for my family, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks so good, I'm a big tea drinker perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think tea rings are so pretty...and yummy too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks divine! I love raisins so I'll be making this soon. Thanks for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmmm! Looks delish! Found you over on Tumble weed Contessa's linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This certainly looks so delicious Linda! I am feeling real hungry now as I have not yet had breakfast in Jamaica.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda,
    This really sounds and looks so scrumptious to me. I think I could eat the whole thing. Pinned it! Sharing on facebook.
    Thank you for sharing at Tuesday Trivia.
    Hugs,
    Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds delicious! Your photo is mouth-watering! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds delicious! Would be perfect with a nice cup of tea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It really looks easy, Linda. I'm pinning. Thanks for the recipe. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks fantastic! I love sweet bread. Thanks for linking up at Tried and True Recipe party! http://rediscovermom.blogspot.com/2013/06/tried-and-true-recipes-15.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. My family would really enjoy this - I would too if I weren't on a diet. Thank you for coming by and sharing this on Fluster Buster's Creative Muster Party.

    Robin
    Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
  14. How beautiful! Pinned. Thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks really, really good. I want some now! Love them! I've pinned it! Thanks for sharing at Two Cup Tuesday at Pint Sized Baker.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe with Full Plate Thursday and have a wonderful week.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a yummy treat, Linda. Thanks for linking up to last weeks party. Can't wait to see what you link up this week!! Nichi http://mandatorymooch.blogspot.com/2013/06/tasty-thursdays-45.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. This recipe sounds wonderful! I have a new weekly link party which is live now and I would love if you stop by and link up this wonderful post! Hope to see you there! http://mariaelenasdecor.blogspot.com/ Hugs, Maria

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis