Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Chocolate Drizzled Milktart Squares

With A Blast: Chocolate Drizzled Milktart Squares  {a traditional South-African dessert with a different coat}  #dessert #milktart #southafrican #sweettreats

Milktart is South-Africa and South-Africa is Milktart !  The traditional Milktart, of course, is a bit different than the recipe which I am sharing today.

Most Milktart recipes are exactly that - a tart in a crust, with a softer, creamier filling. I think it is one of the most loved, and economical tarts in our country. There is a lot of different versions but the basics are the same - Milk filling with Cinnamon sprinkled over {sometimes Cinnamon Sugar}

I like small sweet treats which you can eat by hand and this is perfect to place on a sweet platter. Still soft and creamy, but with a denser texture.

Hope you will make a batch and enjoy my version!

CHOCOLATE DRIZZLED MILKTART SQUARES

24 - 30 Squares

4 Eggs, separated
1 cup Sugar
3 TB Butter, melted
1 1/4 cup Self-Raising Flour
4 cups Milk
1/2 t Ground Cinnamon
2 TB White Chocolate, to drizzle over

1.) Pre-heat the oven to 160 deg C (325 deg F) - spray a 20 x 30cm oven pie dish with cooking oil.
2.) Beat the Egg Yolks and Sugar together in a large mixing bowl until creamy - add the melted Butter - beat again to combine.
3.) Add the Flour to the Egg mixture - mix - add the Milk and beat until smooth.
4.) Beat the Egg Whites until stiff peaks form - fold gently into the Milk mixture.
5.) Pour the mixture into the prepared pie dish - sprinkle the Cinnamon over - bake for 1 1/4 hours until dark brown on top and set.  {the Cinnamon gives it a darker color on top but do watch it as well}
6.) Remove from the oven and let cool completely {it will still feel a little soft, but will set further while cooling}.
7.) Cut into small squares and drizzle with White Chocolate.

Transfer to a serving tray and serve !  These will disappear very quickly, that's a promise ;-)

Later,

With A Blast

Linking up with some of these cool parties - also see my complete Party List:






13 comments:

  1. OMG - my husband will go nuts for this!!! I used to buy him a milk tart just for himself at least once a week!!! We have a South African butcher/deli up the road from us and I only get their very expensive milk tart when SA visitors come over.
    So now I have to make your version Linda - I have no excuse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Linda!
    I never heard of Milktart. Looks yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard if it either but that looks so good and cheap to make

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks very similar to custard? Either way, your "Melktert" sounds wonderful! :) Pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so yummy! I love tarts. Thanks for sharing all your wonderful links Linda! Truly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look fantastic and I can only imagine the taste!
    I'm pretty sure they will be a hit with my family
    I'm saving the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda,
    This looks so good. I've never hard milk tarts. They sound moist and custard like! I will be making them. Pinned and sharing on facebook.
    Thank you for sharing on Tuesday Trivia.
    Hugs,
    Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda - I love it that you shared a recipe from South Africa and one that I am not familiar with-very delicious.(Sharon)

    So glad you linked up with us at the BeBetsy BRAG ABOUT IT Link and Hop.

    Sharon and Denise ♥
    Fashion | Food | Beauty | Antiques | DIY | and much more

    ReplyDelete
  9. These looooook AMAZING! Pinning!
    Thanks so much for sharing at A Peek Into My Paradise TGIF Link Party! I can't wait to see what you link up next week! I hope to see you at the (Not SO) Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop! http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/
    Have a terrific week!
    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Have a great weekend and hope to see you soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you pass one to me please? Your pictures made me drool. Hope you had a wonderful day.

    Heidi’s Wanderings

    ReplyDelete